Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Silverlight 4 : which one should I use, ObservableCollection or INotifyCollectionChanged ?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    turrican

Silverlight 4... Which one should I use, ObservableCollection<T> or should I implement my own :

public class Moo : List<MyObject> , INotifyCollectionChanged { }

?

I'm confused.

Blushing

• User profile image
    stevo_

ObservableCollection<T> is the default implementation, ie: wouldn't it be a bit strange to create the interface INotifyCollectionChanged and not have a default implementation?

Also, you would implement 'Moo' in your case as a Collection<T> not List<T>.

I believe ObservableCollection<T> also supports property change notifications as well.

• User profile image
    turrican

stevo_ said:

ObservableCollection<T> is the default implementation, ie: wouldn't it be a bit strange to create the interface INotifyCollectionChanged and not have a default implementation?

Also, you would implement 'Moo' in your case as a Collection<T> not List<T>.

I believe ObservableCollection<T> also supports property change notifications as well.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I used List<T> and could make INotifyCollectionChanged to work. Maybe that's why. I'll switch to Collection<T> and see if goes better this time.

I tried to change the text of stuff in the ObservableCollection<T> but if they did not implement INotifyPropertyChanged, the change didn't show up, so I think it only supports ADD REMOVE RESET or something.

So basically, I'm good to go using ObservableCollection<T> instead of creating stuff with INotifyCollectionChanged all the time, correct?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

turrican said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I used List<T> and could make INotifyCollectionChanged to work. Maybe that's why. I'll switch to Collection<T> and see if goes better this time.

I tried to change the text of stuff in the ObservableCollection<T> but if they did not implement INotifyPropertyChanged, the change didn't show up, so I think it only supports ADD REMOVE RESET or something.

So basically, I'm good to go using ObservableCollection<T> instead of creating stuff with INotifyCollectionChanged all the time, correct?

Thanks.

I think you need to look up the work Observable in a dictionary. If you use an ObservableCollection and your type has properties that impletent a propertychanged event then this will work.

You should never use a List<T> in databinding scenarios.

• User profile image
    wkempf

In .NET should I use List<T> or implement my own IList<T>? If you can answer that one, you can answer your own question. I can tell you that given your post, none of us can answer your question.

What are your requirements? What will the collection be used for? Will you be doing more inserts than lookups? Will you be doing random access? What about removing items, how often will you do that? Will you be removing random items, or only the front/back item? I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

If ObservableCollection<T> has the performance characteristics you need for the way you're going to use the collection, or at least it is "good enough", then use it. If it's not, then that's why INotifyCollectionChanged exists. Implement your own.  I will say that it's probably wrong to implement your own by deriving from an existing collection type, however. Often you won't be able to correctly implement your collection doing that, as the base type doesn't provide the necessary hooks to modify the behavior. Instead, just create your own based on ICollection<T> or IList<T> and implement it by deferring to a member of the existing collection type that has the characteristics you want.

• User profile image
    turrican

wkempf said:

In .NET should I use List<T> or implement my own IList<T>? If you can answer that one, you can answer your own question. I can tell you that given your post, none of us can answer your question.

What are your requirements? What will the collection be used for? Will you be doing more inserts than lookups? Will you be doing random access? What about removing items, how often will you do that? Will you be removing random items, or only the front/back item? I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

If ObservableCollection<T> has the performance characteristics you need for the way you're going to use the collection, or at least it is "good enough", then use it. If it's not, then that's why INotifyCollectionChanged exists. Implement your own.  I will say that it's probably wrong to implement your own by deriving from an existing collection type, however. Often you won't be able to correctly implement your collection doing that, as the base type doesn't provide the necessary hooks to modify the behavior. Instead, just create your own based on ICollection<T> or IList<T> and implement it by deferring to a member of the existing collection type that has the characteristics you want.

"In .NET should I use List<T> or implement my own IList<T>? If you can answer that one, you can answer your own question."

Excellent, thank you very much! Now I see it more clearly. I will use ObservableCollection<T>.

Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.