Tech Off Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS 2010 - Prerequiste could not be found for bootstrapping

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    lensman

Since upgrading to VS 2010, I have noticed that the "Prerequisites" dialog box now has three yellow "!" symbols.  They state that the studio was unable to find a file.  Can someone help me out on how to address these?  I gather I need to download something or perhaps build a custom prerequisite.

Thanks.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Can you post a screenshot?

• User profile image
    lensman

vesuvius said:

Can you post a screenshot?

As I do not know how to embed a photo, here is the content:

The "Create setup Program to install prequisite compoents" checkbox is checked.  At the bottom of the option "Download prerequisites from the same location as my application" is selected.

The prerequisites listed are as follows:

.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)   (has yellow icon)

.NET Framework 2.0 SP2

.NET Framework 3.0 (x86)  (has yellow icon)

.NET Framework 3.0 SP2

.NET Framework 3.5 (has yellow icon)

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Client Profile

(and so on)

My apps have selected either 2.0 or 3.5 depending upon the targeted framework environment.  I guess technically I could target the 2.0 SP2 framework or the 3.5 SP1 framework however that would then require my clients to have the service packs.  A unnecessary requirement.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    blowdart

lensman said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

As I do not know how to embed a photo, here is the content:

The "Create setup Program to install prequisite compoents" checkbox is checked.  At the bottom of the option "Download prerequisites from the same location as my application" is selected.

The prerequisites listed are as follows:

.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)   (has yellow icon)

.NET Framework 2.0 SP2

.NET Framework 3.0 (x86)  (has yellow icon)

.NET Framework 3.0 SP2

.NET Framework 3.5 (has yellow icon)

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Client Profile

(and so on)

My apps have selected either 2.0 or 3.5 depending upon the targeted framework environment.  I guess technically I could target the 2.0 SP2 framework or the 3.5 SP1 framework however that would then require my clients to have the service packs.  A unnecessary requirement.

Generic Forum Image

Actually not that unnecessary - those service packs included security updates, so they would have been installed by default on any machine checking for updates with windowsupdate.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

blowdart said:
    lensman said:
    *snip*

Actually not that unnecessary - those service packs included security updates, so they would have been installed by default on any machine checking for updates with windowsupdate.

Blowdart is correct, you'd be very foolish to not use the service packs. There are some very important fixes included.

• User profile image
    cheong

blowdart said:
    lensman said:
    *snip*

I think it could be that he's installing VS2010 on x64 machine, so don't have x86 versions of .NET runtime installed.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    lensman

cheong said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

I think it could be that he's installing VS2010 on x64 machine, so don't have x86 versions of .NET runtime installed.

You got it right.  I am compiling x86 and x64 apps on a x64 machine.  So, if I read between your lines correctly, you are suggesting that because I do not have those editions installed it cannot provide me with deployable editions?  That seems a bit strange.

• User profile image
    figuerres

lensman said:
    cheong said:
    *snip*

You got it right.  I am compiling x86 and x64 apps on a x64 machine.  So, if I read between your lines correctly, you are suggesting that because I do not have those editions installed it cannot provide me with deployable editions?  That seems a bit strange.

what kind of setup are you making ?

the VS one

or the Install Sheild Express ?

or ClickOnce ?

or ????

also in some cases the target CPU can have an effect on the resulting .exe file for one project i have to make 2010 build the way 2005-2008 did so that i can run on x86 and 64 due to a 3rd party dll in use that has 64 bit and 32 bit versions.

if the users are network connected you can i think make a setup that will download the updates.

if a CD based setup i think you can download the packages and put them on the disk - i know that some setup tools will handle this like the expensive versions of IS and others.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

What is the context for this exactly? ClickOnce? If so, the options that you are talking about do not appear in the list at all on my system. .Net 3.5 SP1, .Net 3.5 SP1 Client Profile, .Net 4 and .Net 4 Client Profile are the only .Net options in the list. I'm also using x64.

• User profile image
    lensman

Sven Groot said:

What is the context for this exactly? ClickOnce? If so, the options that you are talking about do not appear in the list at all on my system. .Net 3.5 SP1, .Net 3.5 SP1 Client Profile, .Net 4 and .Net 4 Client Profile are the only .Net options in the list. I'm also using x64.

I am performing a click once deployment.  To see where I am talking about, right click on a project you have.  Select Properties.  Go to the publish tab and click on the "Prerequsites" button.

The list remains constant no matter the target of your project.  That is to say a full rich 4.0 client still displays all frameworks here for checking.  In my case three have yellow exclamation points.

My goal is to be able to develop, and deploy applications targeted for a CPU of my choice (all, x86, x64), and deploy the correct prerequsites along with my application.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

lensman said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

I am performing a click once deployment.  To see where I am talking about, right click on a project you have.  Select Properties.  Go to the publish tab and click on the "Prerequsites" button.

The list remains constant no matter the target of your project.  That is to say a full rich 4.0 client still displays all frameworks here for checking.  In my case three have yellow exclamation points.

My goal is to be able to develop, and deploy applications targeted for a CPU of my choice (all, x86, x64), and deploy the correct prerequsites along with my application.

That is where I checked. The options you mentioned do not appear in the list at all. Only .Net 3.5 SP1, .Net 3.5 SP1 Client Profile, .Net 4 and .Net 4 Client Profile are listed (besides a bunch of non-.Net Framework options).

EDIT: It should be noted that the packages used by the prerequisites option are stored in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages" folder. Something you installed must have added those additional packages in there. I don't believe they are available by default.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sven Groot said:
    lensman said:
    *snip*

That is where I checked. The options you mentioned do not appear in the list at all. Only .Net 3.5 SP1, .Net 3.5 SP1 Client Profile, .Net 4 and .Net 4 Client Profile are listed (besides a bunch of non-.Net Framework options).

EDIT: It should be noted that the packages used by the prerequisites option are stored in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages" folder. Something you installed must have added those additional packages in there. I don't believe they are available by default.

Maybe a VS2008 install? (Although I don't see it with 2008 install)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

blowdart said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Maybe a VS2008 install? (Although I don't see it with 2008 install)

I also have VS2008 installed. The packages for VS2008 are under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages" (notice v6.0A as opposed to v7.0A for VS2010) so they should not affect each other.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Wait, I just had an idea.

Did you upgrade this project from VS2008 to VS2010? If so, it's possible that the VS2008 project already contained ClickOnce configuration referring to those packages, which are not available under VS2010, hence the exclamation marks. That would seem to be a reasonable explanation, I think.

• User profile image
    lensman

Sven Groot said:

Wait, I just had an idea.

Did you upgrade this project from VS2008 to VS2010? If so, it's possible that the VS2008 project already contained ClickOnce configuration referring to those packages, which are not available under VS2010, hence the exclamation marks. That would seem to be a reasonable explanation, I think.

Yes, the projects started life as VS2005, upgraded to VS 2008, upgraded to VS 2010.  My question was how to resolve the exclamation marks.

• User profile image
    blowdart

lensman said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Yes, the projects started life as VS2005, upgraded to VS 2008, upgraded to VS 2010.  My question was how to resolve the exclamation marks.

Please *don't*. If you do, you'd be asking for a pre-requisite with known bugs and perhaps with security problems (I can't remember what's in each SP). You say you want the "correct" pre-requsities? I'd ask why you consider unpatched runtimes correct?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

lensman said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

You resolve the exclamation marks by removing your project's prerequisite for those items and changing it to .Net 3.5 SP1 (for projects targetting .Net 2.0, .Net 3.0 or .Net 3.5) or .Net 4.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

blowdart said:
    lensman said:
    *snip*

Please *don't*. If you do, you'd be asking for a pre-requisite with known bugs and perhaps with security problems (I can't remember what's in each SP). You say you want the "correct" pre-requsities? I'd ask why you consider unpatched runtimes correct?

There is an emerging pattern here. I have worked in the componentfactory.com fora to the extent that were it a Microsoft forum, I could possible be considered an MVP.

What I have learnt with a few developers is that they are more concerned with trying to prove that there is a bug, rather than accept that the way they are doing things is incorrect. Sometimes they come around to your way of thinking, other times even after significant effort they refuse or are unable to understand the patently obvious. They also tend to do things on their machine that exacerbate the problem with regedits and removing critical software.

I'm not saying lensman is doing as I have just described as I have seen numerous quality responses and posts in the fora, but it does leave one scratching their head?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.