Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

cannot connect to local sql

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    alindzon

I am setting up a new system to do some development testing.  I installed SQL 2008 enterprise, and VS 2010.  I then executed one of the new project scripts for a database application.

The wild thing is when the new project wizard browses for SQL databases to connect to, it sees two on other computers, but not the local server.

What step have I missed in sql or VS to allow it to see the local database server.  Keep in mind I did not install sql express, since I had already installed a full copy.

So now I am stuck, and feeling really stupid.

I have noticed that the sql server agent does not start, I wonder if that is why it cannot be seen.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

1. Make sure your SQL Server is running (i.e. check the services, etc)

2. Make sure you know which instance, if any, you installed. Try to connect to that.

3. See if you can connect to it via SQL Server Management Studio using SERVERNAME or SERVERNAME\INSTANCE. If you can't, check your SQL configuration.  If you can, the problem is probably in your application's configuration.

4. Check your ConnectionString.

• User profile image
    cheong

SlackmasterK said:

1. Make sure your SQL Server is running (i.e. check the services, etc)

2. Make sure you know which instance, if any, you installed. Try to connect to that.

3. See if you can connect to it via SQL Server Management Studio using SERVERNAME or SERVERNAME\INSTANCE. If you can't, check your SQL configuration.  If you can, the problem is probably in your application's configuration.

4. Check your ConnectionString.

Also note that if your OS is a server OS, make sure you have latest service pack(both for OS and SQL) installed.

Starting from SQL2000, Windows update provides check for service pack level of both side. If any if them is too old, it'll not allow SQL server to bind to TCP/IP ports.

It should no affect local database connection, though.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    alindzon

I did some digging, and noticed the sql browser service was disabled.  Turning on that service has resolved this issue.

• User profile image
    Oggelito

alindzon said:

I did some digging, and noticed the sql browser service was disabled.  Turning on that service has resolved this issue.

I want to point out that you should never rely on the browsing list. In your case you could've tried with 127.0.0.1/./(local) since you knew it was installed locally probably default instance.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.