Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

My HP Pavilion refused to shut down last night

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

Last night I had my HP Pavilion Elite desktop on, and I was logged into my account.  (I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.)  I had Outlook 2007 up and running, and that was it.  I watched a movie, and left my PC alone during that time.  It was a long flick.  After it was done, it was late and I wanted to shut down my system and go to bed.  First strange thing is Outlook refused to go entirely away.  I don't know what was going on with it, but something of it was left hung; invisible, but still there.  However, I wasn't aware of that fact, as I thought Outlook was properly shut down, and so I initiated a shutdown of the system, and left it.  However, my son noticed that it wasn't shutting down, because Outlook was still running, so he decided to try and bring Outlook back up.  I can't remember all of the details at this point, but I don't think Outlook came up entirely, so now I had to kill it with the task manager.  That refused to work, as it seemed to hang as well, so I finally decided to just shut the system down again.  Finally it said it couldn't shut down, because Outlook was hung, and wanted to know if I should force a shut down.  I told it yes, and it appeared to then try and shutdown.

However, it didn't, at least not entirely.  Windows finally hung there, with just a mouse cursor on the screen and nothing at all else.  (No wall paper, no desktop shortcuts, nothing.  It was totally black, except for the mouse cursor.)  And it would not fully shut down after that.

Why wouldn't it shut down?!  I purchased this PC new in September 2009, so it isn't that old.  Is the problem Outlook? Is the problem Windows 7?  Is the problem the fact that it is a HP Pavilion Elite PC?  Is it some combination of these 3?

• User profile image
    spivonious

Anything else running in the background? Usually when shutdown hangs, it means something won't close. Would the Task Manager come up on the black screen?

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

spivonious said:

Anything else running in the background? Usually when shutdown hangs, it means something won't close. Would the Task Manager come up on the black screen?

Good question.  I didn't try bringing up the task manager when it was hung like that.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.