Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Aero on Remote Desktop in Win7/2008R2

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I've got a Server 2008R2 server on my LAN with the Desktop Experience feature installed, and the client is a Windows 7 Professional laptop with Aero running snapilly. I'm wanting to get Aero Glass working over RDP.

I used to have the Aero Basic theme installed and running on the server without any issues, but I switched to Classic whilst I investigated some other issues.

Since solving them, I find I cannot enable Aero Basic over Remote Desktop. All the checkboxes are filled on the Experience tab, but I get this message at the bottom of the Personalization control panel: "One or more of the themes has been disabled by Remote Desktop Connection settings."

...but they aren't.

I also haven't disabled anything on the Remote Desktop Host Configuration properties for the active TCP connection either, nor is there anything in Group Policy (as I said, Aero Basic was working perfectly fine earlier today).

• User profile image
    fabian
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

fabian said:

Thanks for that.

It turns out that you don't need to install the Remote Desktop Session Host to get it working, you just need to:

• Change the Group Policy setting
    • Login to the machine locally and select the Aero theme (doesn't matter if the machine doesn't have an Aero-capable GPU)
    • Reconnect to the server using RDC with 32-bit color mode enabled.
    • Voila.

Still, it's surprising to me at how despite Aero working, the framerate is still capped to 15fps. I know this is a client setting, but it still feels weird. C'mon Microsoft, fix this.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.