Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

CSS Style Question

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

I'm using an ASP Menu on a Master page. It works great.

All I want to do is remove the underline on the selected page. However since ASP Menu items do not have a style element the only way to do it was a hack namely - item.text = "<font>" + item.text + "</font>";

Which produces ugly HTML like this:

<td style="white-space:nowrap;"><a class="ctl00_NavigationMenu_1 ctl00_NavigationMenu_3" disabled="true"><font>about us</font></a></td>

I should note that ASP Menu gives you zero access to any CSS which it dynamically generates at runtime.

<font></font> works in Chrome but not Firefox or Internet Explorer.

<div class="disableditem"></div> works in IE and Firefox, but for some ungodly reason Chrome puts the item on its own line (even with enough space remaining to the right).

This is a giant mess and my CSS sucks (I hate HTML and CSS, - worst design ever). Any suggestions other than ripping out the silly ASP Menu and doing it by hand?

PS - Even with <div class="disableditem"> in place I cannot modify the style of the item in CSS using ".disableditem {}" for some reason.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I have no idea what the full html is that asp:menu generates. Is there no property like CssClass that you can use?

Try this:

.disableditem a {text-decoration: none;}

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

<div> is a block element which probably explain's Chrome's behaviour. Use <span> instead.

Can't you use a control adapter to modify the menu's rendering? I'm not sure because I don't normally use the ASP.NET WebControls.

• User profile image
    DavidBarrett

I have not looked at this particular issue but the way I would go about it would be to inspect the HTML with something like firebug/ie dev toolbar work out what class is currently applied to it and then override it in CSS, so if its :

<td style="white-space:nowrap;"><a class="ctl00_NavigationMenu_1 ctl00_NavigationMenu_3" disabled="true"><font>about us</font></a></td> 

you could add into your CSS:

.ctl00_NavigationMenu_1 ctl00_NavigationMenu_3

{

text-decoration:none !important;

}

Let me know how you get on.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.