Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Font Vs. Size Issue

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

I have two fonts, one that is only available on Windows and Linux, and the other that is only available on OS X and iOS 4.0. The first one needs to be XX-Large just to look "right" the second looks insanely large in that size. I have my fonts set up using a comma seperated font-family but font-size doesn't support a per-font size.

Is there any way to do this so I can have XX-Large for the first font and Large or Medium for the other.

I know I could write per OS code that dynamically changes the font size but that isn't a very good long term solution and certainly isn't very "CSS friendly" code.

• User profile image
    mdtauk

If this is for a website, the only way I can think of doing it, is to have two typographic CSS pages, one for mac, one for linux/windows.  But keep all other styles in one global CSS file.

Or you could use fonts which feature on all 3 operating systems.  I know I have experienced this, when wishing to use the Segoe UI font on Windows, and Lucida Grande for Mac OSX, with Lucida Grande being a larger font than Segoe.  This I assume has something to do with Macs using 72 dpi, and Windows 96 dpi.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

What are the typefaces in question, exactly?

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo said:

What are the typefaces in question, exactly?

Windows: "Freestyle Script"

Mac / iOS: "Zapfino"

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ManipUni said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Windows: "Freestyle Script"

Mac / iOS: "Zapfino"

Freestyle Script is an Office 2007+ font, so people on 2003 or without Office won't have it. I trust you've set-up a fallback?

I've looked at the typefaces and seen that Zapfino and Freestyle really aren't compareable, and it's no wonder you're having sizing issues.

Fortunately on Safari on OS X there exists support for downloadable fonts, so I'd set up a font download for Freestyle.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Freestyle Script is an Office 2007+ font, so people on 2003 or without Office won't have it. I trust you've set-up a fallback?

I've looked at the typefaces and seen that Zapfino and Freestyle really aren't compareable, and it's no wonder you're having sizing issues.

Fortunately on Safari on OS X there exists support for downloadable fonts, so I'd set up a font download for Freestyle.

I didn't realise Freestyle was an Office 2007 font, it works on all of my machines. I will try and find alternatives. How did you determine it was an Office 2007 font?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ManipUni said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I didn't realise Freestyle was an Office 2007 font, it works on all of my machines. I will try and find alternatives. How did you determine it was an Office 2007 font?

Because Microsoft says so.

And also because it isn't on any of my machines that don't have Office 2007 installed.

(Weirdly enough, it does mention Office 2003 Professional has the font, no word for Standard or stand-alone programs though).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.