Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Scala

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    exoteric

Scala is a very advanced, highly coherent, hybrid object-oriented functional programming language with a unique mix of features.

Some great presentations from Vimeo below:

The audio is not the best but the content is superb.

Some topics discussed in the videos:

• Monads
    • Type systems
    • Kind systems
    • Type Classes
    • Turing-complete type system
    • Actors
    • Continuations
    • Delimited Continuations
    • Existentials

• User profile image
    Charles

Excellent. I met one of the Scala compiler developers at OSCON. Interesting guy, Sadly, just as we were about to record a C9 conversation (with one of the F# compiler devs), he got called away. Cell phones suck, man....

C

• User profile image
    exoteric

Charles said:

Excellent. I met one of the Scala compiler developers at OSCON. Interesting guy, Sadly, just as we were about to record a C9 conversation (with one of the F# compiler devs), he got called away. Cell phones suck, man....

C

That's too bad. Perhaps another chance will present itself at a future conference. Cell phones do indeed suck at times!

The people that worked on Generic Java (GJ) was a world class dream team: Martin Odersky (Scala), Philip Wadler (Links, Haskell), Gilad Bracha (Newspeak), David Stoutamire (Sather).

I admire the Scala feature set. It's going to be used to create fantastic libraries and frameworks.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.