Tech Off Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

FLASH No Longer Talks to VB

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Chief Ed

Hi!

Well, I went on a cognitive sabbatical, and all hell broke loose.

I last compiled my program in November of 2009, then I moved on to other endeavors.

I have returned to make some code enhancements and my source code will not compile anymore. I have narrowed the problem down to a recent download of the latest flash10h.ocx. None of my programs that include FLASH (even the simple demo programs) now compile.

I went online to look for a fix, and the only one I found advised me to rename the flash*.ocx to flash.ocx and re-run regsvr32.

No dice.

If I remove the flash element, no problem saving and creating an executable. Add it (FLASH elements) back in, and when I try to save the file, I get the following error...

Error Message

Is there a new trick to this?

Environment:

Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600

VB6 (SP4) Version 8862

SWF created in FLASH 8 (and earlier)

Latest Flash OCX (flash10h.ocx)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Well, first off, I'd update your VB6 to SP6, it's been out since 2004.

Anywhoo, I also recommend totally uninstalling all versions of Flash on your computer and also un-registering them too (assuming the uninstaller doesn't do that). Note that you'll want to download the IE version of Flash, as that's the one that installs the ActiveX control.

FWIW, 0x80004005 is often a Permissions error in COM, though when it says "Unspecified error" - it usually is.

See if you get a similar problem if you try to place a Flash ActiveX control in an Office VBA application, it uses the same COM/AX engine as VB6.

• User profile image
    Chief Ed

W3bbo said:

Well, first off, I'd update your VB6 to SP6, it's been out since 2004.

Anywhoo, I also recommend totally uninstalling all versions of Flash on your computer and also un-registering them too (assuming the uninstaller doesn't do that). Note that you'll want to download the IE version of Flash, as that's the one that installs the ActiveX control.

FWIW, 0x80004005 is often a Permissions error in COM, though when it says "Unspecified error" - it usually is.

See if you get a similar problem if you try to place a Flash ActiveX control in an Office VBA application, it uses the same COM/AX engine as VB6.

I have downloaded and ran the latest service pack, VB6 SP6. I have also re-installed VB6, and uninstalled and re-installed FLASH10h.ocx.

I still get the exact same error.

The project has multiple forms (13), class modules (4), and code modules (six). Three of the forms have FLASH objects. I can make changes to any of the forms and modules, and I can run the program in debug mode within the VB environment. Everything works. I can even create an executable with the changes. Wehen I try to save changes to the forms or modules, they are saved without issue. UNLESS the form has a FLASH element on it. Somehow, an attempt to save changes to a form with a FLASH element causes the *.vbx file to disappear, and as a result, all of the images are wiped out. Since this is the resource file, that makes sense, but I don't understand what is going on.

Curiouser and curiouser.... 

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Chief Ed said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I have downloaded and ran the latest service pack, VB6 SP6. I have also re-installed VB6, and uninstalled and re-installed FLASH10h.ocx.

The project has multiple forms (13), class modules (4), and code modules (six). Three of the forms have FLASH objects. I can make changes to any of the forms and modules, and I can run the program in debug mode within the VB environment. Everything works. I can even create an executable with the changes. Wehen I try to save changes to the forms or modules, they are saved without issue. UNLESS the form has a FLASH element on it. Somehow, an attempt to save changes to a form with a FLASH element causes the *.vbx file to disappear, and as a result, all of the images are wiped out. Since this is the resource file, that makes sense, but I don't understand what is going on.

Try to install an older version of Flash.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Please can you post your Flash hooking code?

• User profile image
    spivonious

My guess is that the newest Flash removed something that your forms are looking for. See if installing an older version fixes things.

• User profile image
    Dexter

It's called Internet search: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662931

Not to say it provides a solution but at least it shows that it's not an isolated problem.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Chief Ed said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Time to start looking into WPF i think.... then you can animate and play video without the need to mess with flash.....

recall we posted  before about things that could be done to update stuff....

• User profile image
    Chief Ed

figuerres said:
    Chief Ed said:
    *snip*

Time to start looking into WPF i think.... then you can animate and play video without the need to mess with flash.....

recall we posted  before about things that could be done to update stuff....

Ah, Mr Fguerres... it might be time for this old dog to learn some new tricks.

How easy is WPF to learn? Is it something that communicates well (two way communication) with VB?

One small example: In flash, when performing CPR, the user positions the hands then begins compressions. Depending on the positioning (with a plus/minus factor) FLASH sends correct positioning information back to VB. Is this do-able with WPF?

Are there costs associated with WPF?

• User profile image
    Chief Ed

ManipUni said:

Please can you post your Flash hooking code?

ManipUni

Which code are you looking for? The code for the OCX loads when I add the component to the project. Do you mean the code to run an SWF file in VB? The code to interact with the SWF through VB? I do not understand what you are requesting.

• User profile image
    Chief Ed

Dexter said:

It's called Internet search: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662931

Not to say it provides a solution but at least it shows that it's not an isolated problem.

Thanks Dexter.

There is a problem with running VB6 with the latest version of Flash (Flash10h.ocx) and it has been verified by several other programmers. It seems that the latest version of Flash Player is the bad boy. Hopefully, Adobe will correct this soon, since running older versions of components is not "user friendly".

In the mean time, my search for appropriate replacements continues. I will try looking into what is involved with WPF...

• User profile image
    Dexter

Chief Ed said:
    Dexter said:
    *snip*

Thanks Dexter.

There is a problem with running VB6 with the latest version of Flash (Flash10h.ocx) and it has been verified by several other programmers. It seems that the latest version of Flash Player is the bad boy. Hopefully, Adobe will correct this soon, since running older versions of components is not "user friendly".

In the mean time, my search for appropriate replacements continues. I will try looking into what is involved with WPF...

There's a new Flash version (Flash10i.ocx) but unfortunately it seems to have the same problem. Couple of things that come to mind:

- Can't you create the flash control at runtime?

- VB.NET+Windows Forms has similar functionality (you can put a flash control on a form) and it seems to work fine at design time

- Before asking about WPF you should  consider what VB.NET means to you - you'll need some version of .NET (>= 3.0) and some version of Visual Studio (>= 2008)

• User profile image
    Chief Ed

Dexter said:
    Chief Ed said:
    *snip*

There's a new Flash version (Flash10i.ocx) but unfortunately it seems to have the same problem. Couple of things that come to mind:

- Can't you create the flash control at runtime?

- VB.NET+Windows Forms has similar functionality (you can put a flash control on a form) and it seems to work fine at design time

- Before asking about WPF you should  consider what VB.NET means to you - you'll need some version of .NET (>= 3.0) and some version of Visual Studio (>= 2008)

I'm open to anything.

My son thinks I should build the simulation in a game engine like TORQUE, so I can animate the EMTs. That sounds cool, but after so many years comfortably programming in VB, I am reluctant...

• User profile image
    figuerres

Chief Ed said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Ah, Mr Fguerres... it might be time for this old dog to learn some new tricks.

How easy is WPF to learn? Is it something that communicates well (two way communication) with VB?

One small example: In flash, when performing CPR, the user positions the hands then begins compressions. Depending on the positioning (with a plus/minus factor) FLASH sends correct positioning information back to VB. Is this do-able with WPF?

Are there costs associated with WPF?

Chief:  really the move to wpf can be both hard and easy.... there are things you will for sure need to learn and there is a lot there to learn.

BUT!

a *LOT* of the programming can be very much like WIndows Forms / VB in places.

here is my go at a very short overview that leaves out a million details:

WPF is where MS looked at WIndows Froms and GDI and at HTML and at DirectX and built a new way of doing things.

your son is not far off when he mentions things like TORQUE as that will also use DirectX.

WPF is uses Vectors for many things, WPF can be animated much like things in FLASH.

WPF can do full 3d and uses the GPU to output the display when a hardware GPU is installed.

you can program WPF and / or you can use XAML markup to create layout much like HTML.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.