Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

[Problem] Windows SBS 2003 + Windows 7 = HUGE login time

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    FRN

I log in to the domain and it can take up to 10-20 minutes to get there and the same problem prevails when logging off. I save all my files directly onto the server and not locally so there shouldn't be and huge sync time. I usually log in on a wifi connection but even when hooked up on a wired connection it takes the same amount of time.

Any suggestions?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Check the event log, if it's a delay in the winlogin process it'll tell you; often the cause is GP.

• User profile image
    figuerres

also try this:  write down the netbios name of the SBS server and then re-start the pc and try pinging the server by name see how long that takes etc...

if it can't find it or if it takes a while edit the lmhosts file in the pc's etc folder (it's in the windows system folders)

look at the samples and add a line like this:

102.54.94.97    name         #PRE #DOM:domain

that will tell your pc that the domain controller is at that address and to not search for it. 

this may help if the problem is with finding the address of the DC on startup.

• User profile image
    AndyC

figuerres said:

also try this:  write down the netbios name of the SBS server and then re-start the pc and try pinging the server by name see how long that takes etc...

if it can't find it or if it takes a while edit the lmhosts file in the pc's etc folder (it's in the windows system folders)

look at the samples and add a line like this:

102.54.94.97    name         #PRE #DOM:domain

that will tell your pc that the domain controller is at that address and to not search for it. 

this may help if the problem is with finding the address of the DC on startup.

This is almost always a DNS issue. Make sure that the DNS server on the SBS is functioning properly and that all client machines are using it for DNS requests. Hacking LMHOSTS might hide the problem, but it's generally not a good idea as other things will subtly break in the background.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.