Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bypassing the "Yellow Bar"

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Braindonors

On my site, I am getting duplicate download tracking entries because IE7/8 Users hare re-posting data when they click the yellow bar to allow the download or bypass the popup blocker for this site.

How can we get our site to behave the way the Microsoft Download Center behaves.

the site is asp.net

http://www.braindonors.net

Thanks -J

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Why not just have simple links to the files to download?

Failing that, use an ASHX to send the file, and use the content-disposition header.

Also, your site's markup is a horrid mess of tables, scripts, duplicate elements, and third-party controls. No wonder you're having problems. Oh, and your site's menu's appearance is broken.

(I can't say I think much of your products either, tbh).

• User profile image
    Braindonors

W3bbo said:

Why not just have simple links to the files to download?

Failing that, use an ASHX to send the file, and use the content-disposition header.

Also, your site's markup is a horrid mess of tables, scripts, duplicate elements, and third-party controls. No wonder you're having problems. Oh, and your site's menu's appearance is broken.

(I can't say I think much of your products either, tbh).

Well, that was unnecessary.

We are using aspx page to send the files, and using the window.open (xxxxxx.aspx) method, but we get a pop-up warning.

and hey, the markup is courtesy of Visual Studio.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Braindonors said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Well, that was unnecessary.

We are using aspx page to send the files, and using the window.open (xxxxxx.aspx) method, but we get a pop-up warning.

and hey, the markup is courtesy of Visual Studio.

I think W3bbo's remarks were a little uncalled for, but "the markup is courtesy of Visual Studio" is an extremely lame excuse. Don't blame the tool, blame the developer.

• User profile image
    Braindonors

wkempf said:
    Braindonors said:
    *snip*

I think W3bbo's remarks were a little uncalled for, but "the markup is courtesy of Visual Studio" is an extremely lame excuse. Don't blame the tool, blame the developer.

Such hatred here, I think that asking a question is just that, asking a question, but if you're going to begin insulting people, you portray yourself as people who are well, douche bags.

If you don't want to answer the original post, then don't; but to start insulting people and their work, that's just Republican.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Braindonors said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

Such hatred here, I think that asking a question is just that, asking a question, but if you're going to begin insulting people, you portray yourself as people who are well, douche bags.

If you don't want to answer the original post, then don't; but to start insulting people and their work, that's just Republican.

Ow please, he didn't insult you personally and he is absolutely right: the site is a mess.

That said, W3bbo did give you a valid answer: put a direct link to the file. A reason you might get a popup warning is because you're automatically calling window.open without any user interaction.

• User profile image
    Braindonors

ZippyV said:
    Braindonors said:
    *snip*

Ow please, he didn't insult you personally and he is absolutely right: the site is a mess.

That said, W3bbo did give you a valid answer: put a direct link to the file. A reason you might get a popup warning is because you're automatically calling window.open without any user interaction.

The use of tables is bad? hmm interesting ok.

to further my point: there is a download link already, which works, but I'm trying to figure out where to trigger the automatic download so that it won't trigger the yellow bar.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Braindonors said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

The use of tables is bad? hmm interesting ok.

to further my point: there is a download link already, which works, but I'm trying to figure out where to trigger the automatic download so that it won't trigger the yellow bar.

I made the remark about your software because I saw the state of your site, and since that isn't done-too-well I extrapolated the same to your software. If you can't give a good presentation, why should there be much faith in everything else?

That aside, if you've got a download page and want to automatically open a download link, just do window.location = "http://mysite.com/softwareName.exe", or set it to the ASHX with content-disposition.

• User profile image
    Braindonors

W3bbo said:
    Braindonors said:
    *snip*

I made the remark about your software because I saw the state of your site, and since that isn't done-too-well I extrapolated the same to your software. If you can't give a good presentation, why should there be much faith in everything else?

That aside, if you've got a download page and want to automatically open a download link, just do window.location = "http://mysite.com/softwareName.exe", or set it to the ASHX with content-disposition.

That makes more sense, Apology accepted.

Now, I have a question, What would you change about the site's presentation?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Braindonors said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

That makes more sense, Apology accepted.

Now, I have a question, What would you change about the site's presentation?

• Fix the broken images
    • Remove the slashdot new ticker
    • Remove the huge viewstate
    • Replace the menubar with your own clean html: a hierarchical <ul> with css for your dropdown menu. No javascript, fancy animations, shadows or gradients
    • Remove the upper left tweet thingy

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV said:
    Braindonors said:
    *snip*
    • Fix the broken images
    • Remove the slashdot new ticker
    • Remove the huge viewstate
    • Replace the menubar with your own clean html: a hierarchical <ul> with css for your dropdown menu. No javascript, fancy animations, shadows or gradients
    • Remove the upper left tweet thingy

Also the site logo is broken: the text has an outer-glow that fades to a matt colour that isn't the actual background of the page. Also the menu changes height and moves around as you mouse-over it.

• User profile image
    xgamer

I think the W3bbo & ZippyV are being too critical ( nitpicky)  on design of the site.

Its a decent effort by "BrainDonors" using whatever the knowledge and graphical abilities he/she may have ( compare to many other sites on interenet ).

By the way to  "BrainDonors" : Please try to take the criticism as a feedback from niners as potential customer/reviewer , which can help you improve your site and ulitmately your products/services ( instead of being so defensive about it ).

I agree with certain commnets like menus moving also would like to point out that screenshots of products could have been made more obvious (Virutal ISO - Too small ).

Try minimize usage of big images and if you want to use it try caching them.

Look at tools like ( http://code.google.com/speed/ ) or Yslow ( http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/ ) with Firebug.

and ultimately try to learn a bit more about web.

Hope this advice (free) helps Wink

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

The menu doesn't even work in Chrome. Only Home is highlighted and occasionally a menu will flash on and off with no discernible pattern while moving the mouse over the rest of the menu bar.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.