Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Controlling a circuit with VB

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    shashank.ash

I wish to control the switching of 6 bulbs, connected in a simple circuit, using VB. How do I do it ?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

What controller do you have? It should come with an API compatible with .NET and so it should work with VB.NET; often they might make a COM version too so that'll work with VB6 and C++.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Do you have something like this? http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/phidgets-004.aspx

• User profile image
    ManipUni

You would absolutely need some kind of controller. While you can use serial to simply turn on and off switches, you cannot use it to control multiple lights without being able to interpret the data and control lines. Sorry if that is unhelpful but as above said you would need to tell us more about your setup.

• User profile image
    shashank.ash

ManipUni said:

You would absolutely need some kind of controller. While you can use serial to simply turn on and off switches, you cannot use it to control multiple lights without being able to interpret the data and control lines. Sorry if that is unhelpful but as above said you would need to tell us more about your setup.

Actually I do not have any kind of controller. I was just thinking that connecting the circuit with a serial port and writing an array of six 0s and 1s would actually do the switching thing. This way we can reduce the costs.

If the controller thing is really necessary, can you guys suggest any good controller ? This phidget link looks good too, but I don't know if its programmable via .NET.

But anyways, thanks a ton for your responses.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

shashank.ash said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Actually I do not have any kind of controller. I was just thinking that connecting the circuit with a serial port and writing an array of six 0s and 1s would actually do the switching thing. This way we can reduce the costs.

If the controller thing is really necessary, can you guys suggest any good controller ? This phidget link looks good too, but I don't know if its programmable via .NET.

But anyways, thanks a ton for your responses.

If you could tell us more, we could offer a better suggestions.  What's the interface into your circut, you said you have no micro controller, what needs driving, what voltage and current will you need?

Phidget Drivers: http://www.phidgets.com/programming_resources.php

If the lights are low current, or your happy to wire up some relays or driver chips you could use something like this http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9218 which is only $18 and talk to it over the serial port (it has an usb-serial converter).

• User profile image
    shashank.ash

PerfectPhase said:
    shashank.ash said:
    *snip*

If you could tell us more, we could offer a better suggestions.  What's the interface into your circut, you said you have no micro controller, what needs driving, what voltage and current will you need?

Phidget Drivers: http://www.phidgets.com/programming_resources.php

If the lights are low current, or your happy to wire up some relays or driver chips you could use something like this http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9218 which is only $18 and talk to it over the serial port (it has an usb-serial converter).

Hi,

I am planning to have 6 Lights that drive around 9V each on a circuit. With this, I plan to have a VB or C# form that would have 6 buttons. if I click on the first button, the first light should get lit, and so on.

I am very new to device making and associated programming. So I would really appreciate if you could suggest some good USB controllers which come with APIs and are easy to program via .NET.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

If you have a serial port to spare (though those are rare nowadays), you can use that in a combination with solid state relays and a simple circuit, most likely you will also need an external PSU for the circuit. Communication via serial is dead easy. You can find both the circuit and the code online (you'll have the circuit also in the manual for the relays). If you don't have a serial port then you can use an USB serial adapter. If you need something professional you should write your own protocol and not bother with serial. What's the power levels you need to switch?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

shashank.ash said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

Hi,

I am planning to have 6 Lights that drive around 9V each on a circuit. With this, I plan to have a VB or C# form that would have 6 buttons. if I click on the first button, the first light should get lit, and so on.

I am very new to device making and associated programming. So I would really appreciate if you could suggest some good USB controllers which come with APIs and are easy to program via .NET.

The most simple click-and-go solution would be one of the phidget boards linked to above, but that's somewhat overkill.

For 9V I'd use one of the small Audrino boards I linked to above and run the outputs through something like a ULN2803 chip.  The parts should will cost you less than $20 and there is a lot of info on the web to program the audrino to do what you want. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.