Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Weird thing with .net 4.0

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    raptor3676

Hi,

I've installed .net 4.0 and VS2010 C# Express,  and all have been terrific so far, however I notice something.  Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) doesn't seems to recognize programs running with .net 4.0 as .net programs (you know .net programs appear on the list in yellow).  .net 2.0/3.0/3.5 do appear in yellow.

At first I though that ProcExplorer wasn't up to date so that it wouldn't recognize the newer CLR.  I downloaded the latest version: same thing.  Then I was trying Snoop on my current WPF project and, although it was the lastest version, allegedly supporting .net 4.0, it fails to recognize my program as a WPF program.  Again 3.0/3.5 WPF programs do appear in Snoop.

Then I though it was my funny/twisted programs the ones misbehaving.  But Metrotwit which uses WPF 4.0 also fails to show in both Process Explorer and Snoop.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas what might be wrong?

BTW, I'm running Vista 32bits.

• User profile image
    raptor3676

Hi,

I've already checked that, even tried ProcExplorer and Snoop running elevated and the applications running as standard user.  Doesn't works either.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

That's not an issue with CLR or .NET, it's a issue with Process Explorer Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel said:

That's not an issue with CLR or .NET, it's a issue with Process Explorer Smiley

As far as the kernel (or Windows in general) is concerned, are CLR processes treated any differently to native processes? I know process memory is arbitrary and things like Windows' stack and heap functions are provided for conveinience only, but I dunno.

• User profile image
    cheong

W3bbo said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

As far as the kernel (or Windows in general) is concerned, are CLR processes treated any differently to native processes? I know process memory is arbitrary and things like Windows' stack and heap functions are provided for conveinience only, but I dunno.

I thought Process Explorer only check for import of mscoree.dll (you can also use "dumpbin /imports" to try and check), so it should be able to test for a .NET binary.

Perheps it use the other ways?

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

cheong said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I thought Process Explorer only check for import of mscoree.dll (you can also use "dumpbin /imports" to try and check), so it should be able to test for a .NET binary.

Perheps it use the other ways?

One of the differences between .NET 4 and previous versions is that the runtime is now clr.dll instead of mscorwks.dll. Maybe that's the problem with Process Explorer.

• User profile image
    raptor3676

TommyCarlier said:
    cheong said:
    *snip*

One of the differences between .NET 4 and previous versions is that the runtime is now clr.dll instead of mscorwks.dll. Maybe that's the problem with Process Explorer.

Yep in the case of ProcessExplorer, was thinking something like that, some dll changed.  For Snoop I still have no clue what's wrong

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.