Tech Off Thread

11 posts

UIP Application Block

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    MonkeyMon

Any Channel 9ers responsible for the UIP block documentation?  Could we get more pictures and 5-1 surround sound next iteration....seriously, is there going to be a webcast or at least a little more forgiving narrative accompanying this block.  I'd really like to use it but am trying to get a better understanding of the why and how to use.

Harry

• User profile image
    irascian

You might want to check out parts 1 and 2 of the three-part article series on the UIP Application Block over at The Code Project. Both have received high scores on reader feedback and I thought the first part was excellent (only just discovered part 2 is available so about to dive into that).

Part 1 is here:

http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/UIPAB1.asp 

Part 2, just published, is here:

http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/UIPAB2.asp

• User profile image
    MonkeyMon

Thanks,

I'd seen this but was turned off by the C# but heck if the logic is there i can translate.

Grabbed both and will have the articles for lunch.

Harry

• User profile image
    MonkeyMon

Is there anyone at Channel9 that could direct me to resources for the User Interface Application Block?

Also, that'd be a great video to interview the folks that created it and talk about the uses, applications, etc.

Thanks

• User profile image
    MonkeyMon

If i didn't respond to my post, who would.  Where's the Microsoft Love for Developers here?

I'm trying to build the most simple implementation of the UIP block in a test web app.  One screen....i can't get the one screen to even display - of course i'm inheriting the aspx page from WebFormView.

I've got all the pieces in place but run the app and get an error within the block class:

private SessionMoniker GetSessionMoniker()
    Line 114: {
    Line 115: SessionMoniker sessionMoniker = SessionMoniker.GetFromSession( new Guid( Session[CurrentTaskKey].ToString() ) );
    Line 116: return sessionMoniker;
    Line 117: }

I'd really like to understand this block and how to use it before trashing it in favor of anything else.

I've tried the newsgroups but get about the same response there as here so far.  I guess this may be another instance of something built but never really ever used in real practice eh?

Thanks for weathering the mild rant.....

• User profile image
    MonkeyMon

All this posting to myself is blurring my vision. But perhaps I can help others through my quest.

NEWS FLASH:
    MSDN Architecture Webcast: patterns & practices Live: User Interface Process Block Version 2 – Level 200   

5/20/2004 11:00 AM - 5/20/2004 12:30 PM
    Language: English-American

Live Meeting Webcast
    http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1032250516&Culture=en-US

Apparently only two people on the face of the Earth are actually trying to use the UIP.  And we're both a tad frustrated with the lack of response.

I'm thinking that the UIP is a stop gap unsupported crutch for use until VS2005 ships - everything will change then right?

<Tap tap tap> is this mike on? </Tap tap tap>

• User profile image
    jwanagel
  • User profile image
    MonkeyMon

Thanks,

I "applied" to join their workspace though the newsgroup their is probably what i was looking for....one stumbling block was answered in first 10 minutes.  Thanks

• User profile image
    irascian

I'm assuming you have got the 120 page PDF manual that they produced for Version 2.0 ?

• User profile image
    MonkeyMon

yes, that document gave me a headache 3 out of 5 days last week.

I'm at the point now that I'm just trying to throw together a working model using the UIPBA. 

I've done everything the way i understand it but still getting errors within the UIPAB code which i've tried to figure out what part of my code is raising the error....

I feel like i'm close to getting this thiong going.  I use VB.NET so some of the UIPAB is not a readable as I'd like for source perusal....

Thanks

• User profile image
    MonkeyMon

Come on over to my new workspace for a simple ASP.NET/VB.NET sample using the UIPAB.

http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/Workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=a9ab4d8d-6a35-456e-b70d-0e40cbbae8d5

Discussion newsgroup there and it'll be active.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.