Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Those Annoying Disappearing Desktop Icons

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    earnshaw

Numerous people have reported the W7 "feature" that causes certain types of icons on the Windows Desktop to disappear over time.   It turns out there is a background service that periodically scans the computer for things it determines are deleterious to a computer that runs shipshape and in Bristol fashion.  Icons that represent shortcuts to a central server, especially a central server that is temporarily unreachable, are erased.   This is deemed proper by the powers that be.   How can that reasoning pass muster?   I have a folder that originates in my  account's user Desktop folder thatI keep for copying back to the actual Desktop each time I discover my handy-dandy shortcuts have gone missing.    Perhaps the policy that the "feature" implements deserves a review.

• User profile image
    earnshaw

If you connect to your office LAN from your home office you probably have a VPN Client.  The VPN Client logs you into the office LAN with a password.  As part of its duty to prevent office data from leaking to the Internet, the VPN Client blocks access to your home office LAN.  The once-a-day desktop icon cleanup senses the inability of these desktop icons to reach their destinations, so it deletes them.  I then laboriously put them back.     My printer is reached through a link in the Active Directory.  So I cannot print whilst connected to the office LAN.   Naturally, all of this happens without so much as a "How do you do?"

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

In the start menu, type 'Troubleshooting' and pick the Troubleshooting option.  On the left is an option to change settings, pick that and disable computer maintenance.

• User profile image
    earnshaw

TSPDesigner launches when I in the start menu, type 'Troubleshooting'.   No cigar.  Also, your reply is too telegraphic to be of much use.  If you go to Control Panel and type in troubleshooting you can click Troubleshooting.  Under system and security there is run maintenance tasks.  This describes itself as "clean up unused files and short cuts."  Under "Advanced" you can uncheck "Apply repairs automatically, "  which is one time only and reverts back to "Automatically".  Also there is "Run as system administrator."  There is no "Disable this feature permanently" option.   There exists, possibly, a daemon (I know "service") that can be disabled, but I don't know its name.  Standard replies:  Nobody else has complained about this.  Those who have complained report they have a work around.  And we're working hard on Windows 8 and have no time for maintenance issues on Windows 7.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Generic Forum Image

Generic Forum Image

Generic Forum Image

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.