Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Getting no sound when connecting to a TV

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

My daughter has an HP Pavilion laptop (G70 Notebook PC).  She's had it maybe a year or so.  It has an HDMI port and we've connected it to our flatscreen TV several times, and used it just fine.  Recently, the sound has stopped being sent to the TV.  We get video, but no audio at all.  What could be causing this?

It came with Windows Vista Home Premium, and I upgraded it to Windows 7 Home Premium.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Depends on how your HDMI audio is set-up.

A lot of graphics cards with HDMI support also have built-in soundcards (that pipe only to the HDMI-out), Windows automatically switches to these when HDMI is active. Other cards don't have their own soundcards and instead have a Digital Audio-in port on the card, you need to find a cable to connect the two.

...but as you say audio has worked before, check your graphics card settings, there'll probably be an option for routing audio through HDMI. Also confirm that when your TV is plugged in and connected that you see the right audio device selected in the Sound control panel.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The first thing I'd check is the playback devices list under audio. Is the HDMI audio output listed, is it the default, and does the volume meter indicate sound is being sent via it?

• User profile image
    spivonious

Sven Groot said:

The first thing I'd check is the playback devices list under audio. Is the HDMI audio output listed, is it the default, and does the volume meter indicate sound is being sent via it?

+1

Usually when the HDMI plug is unplugged, the default audio device switches to whatever is next on the list. It probably just lost its default status.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.