Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Are you a Windows XP Guru?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    J-M

Hi,

I went through the Microsoft support and they can't find the solution so maybe there is someone here who knows it...

My problem is that my Program Taskbar has dissapear in my taskbar... I can see my Quick Launch Taskbar and the Start button but I can't see the Program Taskbar (the taskbar with the running program).  It looks like somehow I have managed to close it and now I can't see it anymore.

So far I have tried the following with no luck:

* = Tried to change the desktop theme
    * = Deleted the following registry key and reboot HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    Streams\Desktop\TaskbarWinXP
    * = Tried different settings (auto-hide, classic view)

Is there anybody who knows how I can have my Program Taskbar back?

Thanks for your help!!!

J-M

• User profile image
    amg

Ah, I find myself more and more taking the "lazy" route on this one...have you thought of using system restore to rollback the reg?  Lazy...but...ever so effective. Wink

• User profile image
    spod

Entirely at your own risk ( don't blame me if the computer doesn't work etc Smiley )...but you could try copying the contents of the registry key

"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop\Default Taskbar"

into the key you mention above... ( ie recreate the key you deleted and set the value from the contents of this key )...

A couple of less hacky? options are:

create a new user...copy all the documents etc you need across to the new user. Delete the old user.

Run an in-place upgrade of winXP:

1. Boot from the Windows XP CD
    2. Press ENTER to install Windows XP
    3. Press F8, for  I AGREE
    4. Press R to run the repair on the current installation of Windows XP

• User profile image
    spod

Smiley....and that's even better if you have a suitable system restore point...

• User profile image
    J-M

I've tried the restore yesterday and it didn't work. I'm working on this with Microsoft support for a long time now and my oldest restore still has the same problem.

If I create a new XP user I don't have the problem so I can just transfer all my settings with XP and start to use another account. 

I'm just trying to find the reason why it's doing it. I found on the net that I'm not the only one with this problem and it would be great if we could find a solution to it.

Thanks for your time.

• User profile image
    J-M

Thanks for the registry key trick (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    Streams\Desktop\Default Taskbar)...

Just to let you know, I have already tried to import the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    Streams\Desktop\
    of another user that doesn't have the problem into my registry and it didn't work...

I don't have access to the PC right now but I will surely try your suggestion tonight.

Thank you.

• User profile image
    CGuy

Hi J-M

To state the obvious, have you tried to unlock the taskbar and resize things to see if it has been reduced to a minscule size? I'm thinking that something got corrupted where the size is kept.

Regards
    Glenn Nitschke

• User profile image
    J-M

I've tried all the obvious stuff... Unfortunatly It's really disappeared and I don't know how to have it back...

Thanks.

• User profile image
    Cider

Its a weird one, I'll give you that!

Suggest you try this tool or the missing taskbar vb script on that page:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

(usual disclaimer of taking no responsibility and all that!)

• User profile image
    J-M

IT'S WORKING!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.