Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Headless installation of Windows Small Business Server 2003

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    mitch

In the specifiaction I noticed that minimum spec for display is given as

VGA or hardware that supports console redirection

I was planning on building a server for home over the summer, and original was going to install something like freebsd, but I am now considering Small Business Server, really want the exchange component.

I found this on MSDN http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815273, which seems to be about installing via a serial console.

Has anyone actually done this? If I have a motherboard which supports serial redirection of bios will it work, or is, as is the case with OpenBSD, this not essential.

And lastly will remote desktop be enabled, allowing me to get the gui for the server once installation is complete, or do I need to enable it first?

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Here at home I use a kvm switch if I really need to get into the box, otherwise I use Remote Desktop.  I'd build it with a monitor and what not first and then wack the head off.

• User profile image
    E-bitz

and pssst.... follow the wizards and let the install do it's thing.  Let it dcpromo and all that.  Let it install and THEN start playing with the built box.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.