Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sourcesafe in Whidbey

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Koen

Hi,

can anyone tell me what will be new in sourcesafe in the whidbey version ?

thanks

koen

• User profile image
    RoryBecker

I have heard that there will be and that it will be much improved. However I cannot remember where I heard it or what those improvements might be.

Sorry

Rory

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Korby Parnell is the expert, and I think he's blogged about it a couple of times.  http://blogs.msdn.com/korbyp

• User profile image
    dhavalhirdh​av

Koen wrote:

Hi,

can anyone tell me what will be new in sourcesafe in the whidbey version ?

thanks

koen

well, I saw that sourcesafe in whidbey got something for Internet also.. so I guess that we will be able to do internet source safe also.. I was missing this feature a long time ago.. I am not sure that its exactly what I am looking for.

• User profile image
    unix?

Does anyone know if there will be branching support in the new Visual Source Safe version ?

• User profile image
    JParrish

I sure hope so.. the "tagging" ability of CVS would be a nice addition to SourceSafe IMO. I've often encountered the need to create a "test snapshot" of a repository that is accesible through the vesioning software. Caveat: I am not confident that my experience with VSS is sufficient enough to warrant that it doesnt allow me to accomplish what I point out.

• User profile image
    Koen

There seems to be a webcast about VSS and whidbey by Alfredo Mendez (Program Manager in Visual Studio, working on the Visual Studio Core Source Control Services and Visual SourceSafe)
    :
    http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1032251078&Culture=en-US

focuses on the new features under development for the existing Visual SourceSafe product that will be released along with Visual Studio® .Net codename "Whidbey.The webcast will consist of a series of live demos of these new features, including: SourceSafe Web Service Configuration, Remote Access via HTTP, Performance Improvements, Globalization, Visual Studio Integration: Rename/Deletes, File Dialogs, Asynchronous open.

will look at it next week.

Koen

• User profile image
    bitmask

JParrish wrote:
    I sure hope so.. the "tagging" ability of CVS would be a nice addition to SourceSafe IMO.

Say J: Have you tried the Label command in VSS? This allows you to name a version of code just like the tagging in CVS (I think - it's been a couple years since I've used CVS Smiley ). 

Sometime in the future you could pull code by label to recreate a specific version of something you might have shipped. You can also list differences between two labeled versions. Korby posted a script from a newsgroup user to do this. I have some experimental C# code to do the same here (in Longhorn!).

• User profile image
    JParrish

Awesome.. thanks for pointing it out. I was pretty sure that I just didn't know how to do this, hence my cover my arse clause Wink

• User profile image
    bitmask

Breaking news from Korby's blog:

"Hatteras is a spicy new SQL Server-based, fully transactional, client-server source control system that will blow your socks off." 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.