Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Terminal Server CALs not taking effect

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Okay.. finally managed to get some Terminal Server CALs... some guy was shifting them by the truckload mega cheaply and I got myself a 25-CAL pack.

Here's a screenshot.

Just installed it, but Terminal Server isn't using them... whyso?

• User profile image
    j0217995

W3bbo, I had the same problem w/ Windows 2000 TS CALS.  Did you activate them w/ Microsoft correctly?  Have you restarted your Terminal Services Licensing server?
    I'll try to dig more into my memory to remember how we dealt with this issue.

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo wrote:
    Okay.. finally managed to get some Terminal Server CALs... some guy was shifting them by the truckload mega cheaply and I got myself a 25-CAL pack.

Here's a screenshot.

Just installed it, but Terminal Server isn't using them... whyso?

I can't see a few things in that screen so here goes:

are the temp cals  "Per User" or "Per device"
    are the new cals  "Per User" or "Per device"

is the terminal service running in  "Per User" or "Per device"  mode?

are users getting warnings?

there is a client command line exe that will dump info on a client to show how it's auhtorized you can use to help check a client.

if the server is in mode a and the new cals are in mode b and the clients have mode a temp cals then you need to chnage modes and re-start I think.

I know I had a problem like that when I first setup the ts on a server for somone.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

figuerres wrote:
    are the temp cals  "Per User" or "Per device"

The Temporary CALs are all Per-Device

figuerres wrote:
    are the new cals  "Per User" or "Per device"

Per User

figuerres wrote:
    is the terminal service running in  "Per User" or "Per device"  mode?

Right now... Per Device

figuerres wrote:
    are users getting warnings?

There's only one real user... me. And I haven't received any warnings, I don't even know how many days are left in the grace period btw.

figuerres said:
    there is a client command line exe that will dump info on a client to show how it's auhtorized you can use to help check a client.

What's it called?

figuerres wrote:
    if the server is in mode a and the new cals are in mode b and the clients have mode a temp cals then you need to chnage modes and re-start I think.

Hmm, I think in the past I changed modes without restarting.

So I just need to flip the setting to "Per User" and restart Terminal Services? Or the whole server? (Since you can't stop/restart the Terminal Servicies Service from the Services.msc/Services MMC Snap-In

• User profile image
    jmiller76

Don't know if this is it, but it looks like you are running Terminal services 2000 and installed 2003 CALs.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jmiller76 wrote:
    Don't know if this is it, but it looks like you are running Terminal services 2000 and installed 2003 CALs.

Since when did Windows Server 2000 feature the Windows Server 2003 desktop icons or have an Auto Update Alert icon in the system tray?

If you're referring to the "Temporary Windows 2000" bit... that comes with Windows Server 2003 and is intended to allow for an easier transition from TS2000 to TS2003 by granting unlimited CALs for clients that have existing TS2000 licenses.

• User profile image
    jmiller76

It was the only inconsistancy I saw.  I never trust icons.  Some people theme like mad, you shoudl see my desktops. 

I always just use TS in admin mode which is 2 free conections to anyone with local admin rights.

I had done some research on TS2003 CALS, I know it is more complicated then 2k.  On 2k any NT based OS had a built in license.  Our server got moved to IT, so I don't recall those references that I had read.

- Josh

• User profile image
    figuerres

jmiller76 wrote:

there are a few places in 2003 server that "Goof" on things.

also you may have seen the line that says
    "2000 ... cals"
    that is some refer to TS cals for win 2000 and I am not sure what it means ither... but it's on my test box also.

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo wrote:

figuerres said:

What's it called?

I don't have the exact file names for the downloads but:

there is a word file "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Licensing"
    you can download that has a bunch of good info.

in it there is a spelling error on the name of one command...

The Terminal Server Client License Test tool (TSTCST.EXE) provided with the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit can be used to display details about the license token residing on a client device. It is a command-line utility that displays the following information by default:

·         Issuer

·         Scope

·         Issued to computer

·         Issued to user

·         License ID

the name... is tsctst.exe

and is found on xp in the folder
    C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
    after installing the res-kit tools
    I think this was the XP Pro res-kit.
    also in that paper are other tools and scripts to help manage ts services.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I've changed the setting to "Per User" and rebooted the whole computer.

I ran the tsctst.exe program and my computer appears to still be using the Temporary CAL.

How do I delete the CALs?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.