Tech Off Thread

119 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Discuss the Beginning Game Development series on Coding 4 Fun

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Toasty0

gopakumator wrote:
    im getting some error while comiling the code in Article III (DirectX II):
    Im using VS.NEt 2004 and i have .NET Framework 1.1 redistrutable installed.
    The eroor i get is this...
    An unhandled exception of type 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.InvalidCallException' occurred in system.windows.forms.dll

I'm getting the same error. I believe it is because we're trying to compile this tutorial using Visual Studio 2003 instead of the recommended Visual Studio 2005.

• User profile image
    Aiden

Framerate Issues - using Radeon 9550 (bottom end DX9  card)

Strangely, my DX apps run at 49 to 72 fps, and i cant tell what makes them run at these rates. But this is clearly nowhere near possible, upward of 700 fps for a simple scene. Looking in Control Panel > Direct X, i see that i've selected 'Use retail version of direct 3D', instead of 'Use Debug version of direct 3D'. So why no speed ? Also, i can compile the microsoft sample directX empty project and it runs at 760 fps.

PS. When's part IV coming online, i think we're ready for it. Smiley

• User profile image
    OnLineToMuch

I get the following exception: Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.InvalidDeviceException on the following line of code in the constructor:

Caps caps = Manager.GetDeviceCaps ( adapterOrdinal, DeviceType.Hardware );

when I connect my laptop to the docking station with an external monitor.  How would I insure that this is going to work under conditions like these?

• User profile image
    OnLineToMuch

I am having no trouble with Dot Net 2003 and this code.  There have been a few tasks where I had to address the issue in a slightly different manner.  I did not copy the code from the samples, but typed it in instead.  Maybe there is a difference.

• User profile image
    smoothcoder

Is there any coming DirectX III article? 'Cause this episode seems dead....

• User profile image
    David.​Kingston

I've been working through this series to get my feet wet with VS2005, and it's been fun.

A word of warning.  Direct3D is not supported by the video card used by Virtual PC / Virtual Server.  So, your app will compile, but you can't run it unless you can get the 2.0 beta runtime on an actual hardware system.

• User profile image
    mclazarus

Thanks Derek, this intro has been great so far.  I can't wait for the next article.

• User profile image
    ShakaWare

Greetings,

I am working on plain box that has all of my VS 2005 .NET 2.0 stuff on it.  I am using the mainboard graphics processor.  My box does not have a graphics card.

I got the same error on DeviceType.Hardware.

I changed to DeviceType.reference and the code woked.  At least past that line.  I am having other DX9 issues.

I am getting a runtime error on this line...

device.DrawUserPrimitives( PrimitiveType.LineStrip, 6, this.CreateCrossHairVertexArrayTop() );

I just starting writing this tutorial about 3 hours ago, so I am still tweaking.

Micah

• User profile image
    lordrhys

Hi All,

trying to do this in VB.Net, d/l the C4FBegDev3VB.msi file and installed it but when I load the source it's missing the
     Microsoft.Samples.DirectX.UtilityToolkit, Is there somewhere I can get this file in VB format? I have the dxmutmisc.cs file in the August 2005 update DirectXSDK folder.

Thanks,
                   Frank

I resolved the problem, had to compile the DirectXSampleFramework that was in the part I code download and copy the dll into the bin folder for the VB code. Cool

• User profile image
    klex

Hi All,

I am fairly new to DirectX programming and C# and I am having some trouble with the code in the second article.

I noticed that when running the Release code for the second article, entitled "Introduction to DirectX", I encounter an unhandled exception error, specifically D3DERR_INVALIDCALL.  It looks like the problem is in the Device constructor related to the PresentParam.Windowed enum.  When that is set to true (the app is running in windowed mode) it works just fine.  However when .Windowed is false (fullscreen mode), the exception occurs.  I am not sure how to fix this problem and was hoping someone could shed some light.  I'd really love to be able to Clear my screen to a dark blue color Wink.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• User profile image
    Minh

klex wrote:
    Hi All,

I am fairly new to DirectX programming and C# and I am having some trouble with the code in the second article.

I noticed that when running the Release code for the second article, entitled "Introduction to DirectX", I encounter an unhandled exception error, specifically D3DERR_INVALIDCALL.  It looks like the problem is in the Device constructor related to the PresentParam.Windowed enum.  When that is set to true (the app is running in windowed mode) it works just fine.  However when .Windowed is false (fullscreen mode), the exception occurs.  I am not sure how to fix this problem and was hoping someone could shed some light.  I'd really love to be able to Clear my screen to a dark blue color .

Thanks in advance for the help.

klex,

I haven't ran the proggy myself, but my guess is that maybe your video card doesn't support the particular mode that the code is trying to switch it to. Also, make sure you have the latest SDK.

• User profile image
    ShakaWare

I upgraded my on boad video drivers and am having much better performance on my machine.

For users who are getting 2-5 FPS make sure that any where the device is getting set up that the DeviceType is Hardware and not Reference.  Reference is really slow.

Now then, is anyone getting a really blurry/pixely skybox?  In part IV I used the MSFT lobby images and they are super clear, but when they render on the skybox mesh it is like everything is out of focus.

Is everyone having this issue?

• User profile image
    amos_olson

I've noticed that the maximum framerate is tied directly to the monitor refresh rate, at least on my system.  Even if all I do is call the Present method, my frame rate ends up being 60.  However, if I cover the game window with another window, the frame rate moves up to it's theoretical maximum (as shown in the window title on the taskbar).

This means the Present method is "eating" any extra time between frames while waiting for the monitor to refresh.  Is there any way to get this time back for background housekeeping, like unloading defunct objects or preloading new stuff?

Or since housekeeping is necessary regardless of client speed, the "extra" time could be used to provide as much extra eye candy as can be rendered before the next render loop has to start...

• User profile image
    bimbo111

I got some problems. Special with my directX. Im running win 2k, framework 1.1, Visual studio 2003. But i cant get a newer directX update with the samples and dll´s wich can run on my OS.
    Do anybody know a version or what i am going to do ??

• User profile image
    agwan

Tips
    Add a height map so the terrain is not just flat - Realy you should
    Cover simple animation

If anyone else knows how to do this in vb please contact me
    danielwbz@hotmail.com

Agwan

• User profile image
    potsie

great article so far...

just installed VS2005 and i'm getting the following error when I compile...

Error 1 The type 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\2.0.900.0\Microsoft.DirectX.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2902.0\Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll' D:\Websites\BattleTank2005\BattleTank2005\GameEngine.cs 81 44 BattleTank2005

how do i get around this?

thanks

Paul

• User profile image
    GingerBoy

Hello there,
          I am having the same problem as you (Exception thrown by the caps creation line). If you can help me in any way von thtis subject i would really appriciate it as i am very eager to move on with the tutorials.

Thanks Steve

• User profile image
    DavidJones

Hey all,

Working my way through the examples, but got stopped in my tracks after the 2nd one!

After adding DirectXSupport, and the Microsoft.DirectX and Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D references, try to compile and get 37 errors, all about the same...

"The type or namesapace name 'Filter' could not be found"...

I've re-done the project up to this step about 4x now with the same results...

DirectX version problem?  I'm doing this on WindowsXP but saw on sys requirements server (?)...not sure if that's a problem...

Anyhow, pretty burnt on trying to figger it...any help would be great!

BTW, am a VFP programmer, noodling around with C# Express...

Thanks!

David

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.