Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Networking without WINS and NetBIOS

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

'lo

I understand that NetBIOS and WINS is depreciated and that networks should be DNS-based.

Well, after disabling WINS and NetBIOS on both the workgroup server and the machines:

• The "My Network Places" and "Entire Network" is now empty.
    • When I type in "\\server\" in My Computer from a client machine, it can't find it
    • When I type in "ping server" in CMD it works fine
    Double-Yew-Tee-Eff

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

• User profile image
    Maurits

There's an "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" checkbox somewhere.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

But isn't AD/Windows Network supposed to work without NetBIOS though?

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo wrote:
    'lo

I understand that NetBIOS and WINS is depreciated and that networks should be DNS-based.

Well, after disabling WINS and NetBIOS on both the workgroup server and the machines:
    • When I type in "\\server\" in My Computer from a client machine, it can't find it
    Double-Yew-Tee-Eff

are the two machines in the same AD domain?

if they are and the client is using the AD domain's DNS then the client should find the server.

\\Server\  is not a DNS function it's a WIndows Network function -- finding the host refered to with"\\| that is.
    in WIndows Networking
    \DOMAINNAME\HOSTNAME\SHAREName\FIle.Ext

so when you enter \\HOSTNAME
    you are saying that if the client asks the AD catalog where "HOSTNAME" is it will return it's location.

DNS wize name lookup will be like this

somehost.somedomain.somedomain.somedomain.tld

where "somedomain" can be nested domains.
    and tld is a DNS Top Level Domain

and a HOSTS file on a machine can provide default hostname = IP address lookup when DNS lookup is not on tap.
    and the DNS settings on the client can tell the client to append a domain to all sercheas that do not specify one
    like nslookup www returning www by looking at the parent domain foo.com and finding a host or alias www.foo.com FQDN

• User profile image
    Cairo

W3bbo wrote:
    But isn't AD/Windows Network supposed to work without NetBIOS though?

It still provides the basic RPC mechanism for Windows, even in an AD setup.

• User profile image
    steamer25

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001

If I understand correctly, NetBIOS (and WINS for tiered networks) is still required for browsing (having the system list available resources in 'My Network Places').  I believe, however, that you can access resources through a specified UNC path (assuming you already know the name of the remote computer and share) with only DNS ie:

\\servername\sharename

• User profile image
    Badgerguy

W3bbo wrote:
    'lo

Double-Yew-Tee-Eff

Well, you need to check a few things first, so here are the basics:

First, check your machines.  They should be joined to the Domain, and the TCP/IP settings should be set to use the DNS Server running in your domain (not your ISPs DNS server as some people mistakenly do).

Check the server - this too should be set to use only the local DNS server running in your domain, (configure your DNS server with forwarders to enable resolution of names on the Internet).  Double-check your server is all nicely registered up in DNS.

Your DNS Zone should be an AD integrated zone - which you won't need to worry about much if you let the DCPromo wizard set the DNS Server up for you.

On the client PC, do a ipconfig /flushdns, and try access again.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.