18 posts

National ID system built on .net

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Manip

Woot! Lets give all this highly sensitive information to a single corporation, one who's mission is to make money and who has had problems in the past with monopoly control...

I just wonder what will happen 5years, 10years, 15years down the line if the government wants to move off this system? How will THAT happen?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

rofl Smiley

That's so scary when you think about it.  Reminds me of iRobot in some ways.

Anyways, I think this NIS thingy will be rather interesting and I'd love to see how this takes off.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Steve411

Best way to explain our government in the next 20 years is through what else but Code.
    I'm Sure you guys will understand the meaning of the code.

using System;
    using Governments;
    using Governments.People;
    using Governments.Plans.Future;
    using Governments.Objects;

namespace GovernmentsPlansForTomorrow
    {
    public interface IGovernment
    {
    void DescribeGovernment(GovernmentType type, Time inFuture);
    }
    public class IExplainGovernment : IGovernment
    {
    public void DescribeGovernment(Type type, Time inFuture)
    {
    if(inFuture.DateTime == DateTime.Now)
    {
    ifRefuse = false;
    if(ifRefuse == false)
    {
    foreach(Person p in People)
    {
    if(!p.ContainsMark())
    {
    People.MarkWith(Objects.TrackingChip, p, Objects.TrackingChip, Location.Arm | Location.Forehead);
    }
    else
    {
    People.Kill(p,Country.All);
    }
    }
    }
    }
    else
    {
    LetThemBeFree(Time.Years.5);
    switch(Time.TimePassed)
    {
    case default:
    if(!TimePassed == DateTime.Now)
    {
    p.Warn("You must get this chip to live!",Seriousness.VerySerious);
    }
    else{ContinueWaiting();}
    break;
    }
    }
    }
    private bool ifRefuse
    {
    get { return this.ifRefuse;} set { this.ifRefuse = value;}
    }
    private void LetThemBeFree(Time waitFor)
    {
    ChipImputs.Initiative.WaitFor(waitFor);
    }
    }
    }
    // create a new instance of our government...

IGovernment ourGovernment = new IExplainGovernment();

// give it its type and the time it takes for them to screw us over

ourGovernment.DescribeGovernment(Type.All, Time.Years.7);

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Watch out for the hacker-terrorists and their weapons of mass deletion !!!

• User profile image
    Manip

Well as from now on you can't order from Dell or other US computer companies without answering "Will this equipment be used for the production of WMDs?" the haxor terrorists are out of luck Big Smile

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    l33tn00b

ZippyV wrote:
    Watch out for the hacker-terrorists and their weapons of mass deletion !!!

good one. Tongue Out
     But all jokes aside, I'm going to miss my civil liberties.

<wishful thinking>
    Since it hasn't been implemented yet, maybe there is still time for congress to repeal it.
    </wishful thinking>

• User profile image
    Steve411

Programous, there is something seriously wrong with your code! If you have a digital ID card you might wanna' encrypt that crap!

Try it like this;;;;

Human.NotFullyFunctionalEncrypt(string.Format({0},{1}),txtHIDDENECRYPTIONLONGUSERNAMEHPTEXTBOX.Text,txtHIDDENENCRYPTIONLONGPASSWORDHPTEXTBOX.Text));

if(object.IDCard(isbeingScaned))
    {
    try
    {
    txtHIDDENECRYPTIONLONGUSERNAMEHPTEXTBOX.Text = Human.NotFullyFunctionalDecryptor(username);
    txtHIDDENENCRYPTIONLONGPASSWORDHPTEXTBOX.Text = Human.NotFunnyFunctionalDecryptor(password);
    }
    catch(InvalidAccessException WhatDoYouThinkYoureDoing)
    {
    base.Alert(WhatDoYouThinkYoureDoing.ExceptionalNonDetailMessage,Alert.AfterKickBoootay);
    }
    else
    {
    GoBrainWash();
    }
    }
    internal static void GoBrainWash()
    {
    foreach(Person p in People)
    {
    foreach(BrainData d in p.BrainData)
    {
    p.RemoveBrainData(d.ToByte());
    }
    }
    }

That fixes that... Wink

• User profile image
    Steve411

Anyone wanna' get this and then reverse engineer it with me?

• User profile image
    z33driver

Dug this up from the dead because I came across a neat screencast while goooogling.

ACLU Pizza Ad

• User profile image
    phreaks

Link expired

Sad

• User profile image
    billh

Is the article that was on Yahoo! related to this one?

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1821305,00.asp

I find it very ironic that in the recently posted Bill Gates video (here on Channel 9) that Bill enjoys the "anonymity of the internet".  But then his company goes and pushes forward with this? So, let me get this straight...he wants his anonymity on the internet, but for the rest of us...screw it?

Funny, but sadly-gonna-be-true, video, btw.

• User profile image
    winlonghorn​06

I agree with that one. lol, great post.Smiley

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

I don't see what is so funny about this.  It's actually a very good strategy of Microsoft, and the logical thing to do to develop it using the powerful platform that is .NET.

And privacy?  Come on, here in Belgium, nearly everyone has an electronic identity card (eID) by now, and you have to carry that with you 24/7.  Applications are still somewhat limited now, but if Microsoft can build a seamless integration into their websites, software, etc... even payment systems, that would make life so much easier!
    Just imagine that you would only need one card anymore, and that card is your ID card, bankcard, VISA card, security token, etc... etc...

• User profile image
    billh

dotnetjunkie wrote:
    Just imagine that you would only need one card anymore, and that card is your ID card, bankcard, VISA card, security token, etc... etc...

I already have, thanks.  I wonder what the wide, wonderful world of "only one card" would look like? And when that card is hacked, have fun trying to prove your identity, because you know that the cryptography world is littered with broken algorithms. What are they up to now RC-5 or RC-6? And as PCs become more powerful, do you seriously think for a minute that those resources won't be turned against that very card you covet? Such a consolidated card would become the ultimate "one-stop shopping" treasure trove for identity thieves. Oh, and this has absolutely nothing to do with system being Windows based or Unix/Linux based.  Worse yet, Microsoft has a history riddled with issues when it comes to implementing internet software.

Theft doesn't go away with technology, it only changes form.

• User profile image
    billh

Here are some interesting places to start, if you want to get a small glimpse of how big of a problem this could turn into:

http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/ChronDataBreaches.htm
    http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/cat_breaches.html

This is why it won't matter if such a system is built on .NET or whatever you want.  If anything, technology is actually making it easier for identity thieves.

Mad

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Hey, it's a .NET PASSPORT!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.