Tech Off Thread

6 posts

can FAXCOMEXLib be used on ADSL Modem

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Richard1975

Can anyone confirm that the Faxcomexlib that is part of TAPI SDK WILL NOT WORK if  you have a ADSL modem ? 

I have read on some web pages that this lib only works with dial up modems and not on Broadband/ADSL modems.

By the way, I'm running WinXP Sp2 with no network established. I have installed Fax services onto this machine. I also have a Brother MFC3220C Fax/Copier/Scanner device attached to my machine.
    ADSL modem is Thompson SpeedTouch 500 Series Multi user ADSL gateway.

If anyone has any information on this topic, I would appreciate this.

• User profile image
    figuerres

CaptainOblivious wrote:
    Can anyone confirm that the Faxcomexlib that is part of TAPI SDK WILL NOT WORK if  you have a ADSL modem ? 

I have read on some web pages that this lib only works with dial up modems and not on Broadband/ADSL modems.

By the way, I'm running WinXP Sp2 with no network established. I have installed Fax services onto this machine. I also have a Brother MFC3220C Fax/Copier/Scanner device attached to my machine.
    ADSL modem is Thompson SpeedTouch 500 Series Multi user ADSL gateway.

If anyone has any information on this topic, I would appreciate this.

all DSL "Modems" and "Cable Modems" have about as much in common with a dialup "Modem" as say a car does with a jet plane.

the term "MoDEM" is Technially correct in that the device does the functions of "MOdulate" and "De-Modulate" a signal.

but a classic dialup device has totaly different internal functions than a DSL / Cable Modem.

TAPI is the "Telephony" SDK
    it expects a hardware device to be on a COM_: POrt and to use HAYS AT Commands to send dialstrings and negotitate a serial connection.

a DSL modem connects to your pc via an ethernet cable.

• User profile image
    Richard1975

Thanks figuerres for that.

Just to confirm, the Readers Digest version is NO, TAPI DOES NOT WORK WITH BROADBAND MODEMS

Probably the best alternative would be, is to send a email with an attachment. This attachment is the document that I would have faxed.

So this reduces the problem of handling the issue of Dialup vs. ADSL modem.

That sucks, for a couple of reasons:

1. As the recipients at the other are not really computer savy, I was hoping that I could just input the recipients fax number and then click on a button and a fax would be sent and printed out on the other end irrespective if they had normal Dialup or broadband modem.

2. Not 100% sure that the recipients have internet connection and for that matter an email address.

Ahhhh, Back to the drawing board!!!!!!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

There are a number of Internet Fax companies.

• User profile image
    Richard1975

Yeah, I know. I have tried a few out. Having said that I am not 100% convinced, what happens if the internet fax company servers go down. To me, it is just another point of failure. I want to try and keep it simple as possible.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CaptainOblivious wrote:
    What happens if the internet fax company servers go down.

They don't.

Ever heard of "multiple redundancy"?

Besides, just store the connection strings in an external file for your application, so if one internet fax company does indeed go-under, you can easily rectify this without rebuilding your program.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.