Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vertical text looks really ugly

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Sk4rlath

Let me know if there's something I'm doing wrong here.

Turn on ClearType and open up C# Express and drop a ToolStrip on the side of a form. Add a button and set the following properties:

TextAlign = BottomCenter
    TextDirection = Vertical90
    TextImageRelation = ImageAboveText
    ImageAlign = TopCenter

Look at the text on the button - it's ugly! It looks like all the extra ClearType pixels are all black making the font look really bold and aliased.

Is this a bug in GDI+, or do I have something not set right?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Sk4rlath wrote:
    Let me know if there's something I'm doing wrong here.

Turn on ClearType and open up C# Express and drop a ToolStrip on the side of a form. Add a button and set the following properties:

TextAlign = BottomCenter
    TextDirection = Vertical90
    TextImageRelation = ImageAboveText
    ImageAlign = TopCenter

Look at the text on the button - it's ugly! It looks like all the extra ClearType pixels are all black making the font look really bold and aliased.

Is this a bug in GDI+, or do I have something not set right?

well first a few questions:

1) is your display a CRT or LCD?
    2) did you tune the display?

Now understand that the tech is meant for LCD displays and is set to your viewing preferences...
    and the process of "tuning" it uses normal text layout....

so when you flip and rotate text you are altering how it will be rendered by ClearType, possibly in odd ways.

IMHO  it is a tech that is good up-to a point.

what we really need is 2400 dpi displays.

that may sound rather high....
    but I read a long time back that professional type was basicly printed at 2400 dpi on color magazines and other high quality print.

and if you check TrueType details the model for it is 2400 dpi and scales down to what the output device can do.

some place between say 400 and 1200 dpi we would stop seeing pixels for most uses of a display....

for some things thoug even higher would have it's uses.

• User profile image
    Sk4rlath

I knew I should have posted this first.  OTL

Now do you see what I mean by ugly?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Sk4rlath wrote:
    I knew I should have posted this first.  OTL

Now do you see what I mean by ugly?

almost like it did a "Bold + Kern -4"  kind of thing...

like I was posting before:

the way ClearType works is optimized for normal body text .... not for other stuff.

a related example is that there have been a number of complaints about ClearType + Avalon text.... and how it can get some "fuzzy" text effects ...

it was invented to help in a certain way on certain displays.... it's not a tech I see a real long range future for....

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I see the same thing. It's definitely a problem in the toolstrip or possibly GDI+. I viewed a screencap in Paint and blew it up, usually you see some blue and brown pixels which are the added antialiasing pixels from ClearType, but here the text was all black. The also vertical text from the toolbar tab in the IDE itself looked fine however, so it's not that cleartype's unable to handle vertical text.

EDIT: What's more, the Office 2003 toolbars, which are identical in appearance, work fine when layed out vertically.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I took the liberty of reporting this issue.

• User profile image
    Sk4rlath

Sven Groot wrote:
    I took the liberty of reporting this issue.
    Why, thank you sir! I had completely forgotten about that.

• User profile image
    Minh

I guess it makes sense. ClearType is designed to take advantage of the sub-pixels of a LCD screen horizontally. By drawing a pixel wider than it really is, ClearType increases the perceived resolution. But when you make the text vertical, ClearType now draws pixels taller instead of wider -- which is not how the elements are arranged.

Just a guess though.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Not true, because it works correctly with other vertical text, including the vertical text in the VS2005 IDE itself.

• User profile image
    Minh

Sven Groot wrote:
    Not true, because it works correctly with other vertical text, including the vertical text in the VS2005 IDE itself.
    Really? I don't have VS2005 to try out. Is ClearType active on those vertical text? Remember ClearType is disabled if the font size falls below a certain threshold.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Minh wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: Not true, because it works correctly with other vertical text, including the vertical text in the VS2005 IDE itself.
    Really? I don't have VS2005 to try out. Is ClearType active on those vertical text? Remember ClearType is disabled if the font size falls below a certain threshold.

It's active. I took a screengrab and zoomed in, and you could see the extra coloured pixels as remarked earlier. Same is true if you move a toolbar with text to the side in Office 2003.

• User profile image
    Frank Hileman

It is not a bug in GDI+, it is a bug in the toolstrip.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.