Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How on earth could they do that?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    The​Programmer

I found this http://www.nice-games.net/3d-pacman.html on google. How on earth could they sell a 3D Pacman game on their own? I thought the franchise is still owned by Namco?? They are not the only one. Search 3D Pacman on google, there are lots of people doing this.

Isn't it called Copyright infringement?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I don't know about Copyright infringement, but I think the screenshots look pretty crappy.

• User profile image
    jcfiala

It might be copyright infringement, or they might have a license.  Given that they don't have (as far as I noticed) a copyright notice indicating the ownership of Pacman, then they probably don't.

Someday, sooner or later, Namco will find them (if you did, they will) and will slap 'em with a cease & desist letter, I'm sure.

John
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/fiala_tech/

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Loads of people have made PacMan clones, I hardly think Namco is so concerned.

• User profile image
    arun_coorg

Pacman do have francise.

But what you see in google is definately Copyright

infringement. Its not only Pacman but there are

loads of other ones which are breaking Copyright

policies.

Arun 

• User profile image
    nightski

Remember,
    it is only copyright infrigement once the company (i.e. Namco) decides to file a lawsuit.  You are free to use other people's copyrights, as long as you don't think they will file a lawsuit.

This is why many startups get in trouble because they pick a copyright for their main product - then a big company comes along and uses it for a product.

However, the little company doesn't have the resources to fight the big company, and hence has to rename their product destroying their brand.

• User profile image
    Minh

nightski wrote:
    However, the little company doesn't have the resources to fight the big company, and hence has to rename their product destroying their brand.
    Except "Lindows" -- which netted them a cool $20 millions. Smiley

• User profile image
    Xenon101

That pacman game looks like something you'd find running on the Nintendo 64, eww Expressionless

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.