Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Touchscreen application development

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    tLat

Does anyone out there know of some good resources for developing C# applications that incorporate touch screen input (rather than mouse or keyboard)?

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Having been a longtime kiosk developer, here's the trade secret... Ready? Wink

Touchscreen input is just mouse clicks!

You do need to design bigger buttons, but besides that it is purely mouse clicks.

• User profile image
    FrankCarr

Most touchscreen systems mimic mouse clicks so there is no need to change your code from one to the other. All you have to be concerned about is that the drivers for the touchscreen work right (this can be a problem sometimes).

The real key to this kind of development is that you will probably need to build a set of non-standard controls that have a 'touch friendly' behavior and shape that also fit the needs/desires/demands of the system sponsers. For a project I did like this in VB6 I built a 'Button Collection' control and a 'Touch Grid' control. My suggestion would be to make the graphics generic, sort of 'skin' like, to maximize reuse and to better deal with the fickle tastes of marketing people who normally are a driving force on the look and feel of these applications.

• User profile image
    paulius

Jeremy W. wrote:
    Having been a longtime kiosk developer, here's the trade secret... Ready? Wink

Touchscreen input is just mouse clicks!

You do need to design bigger buttons, but besides that it is purely mouse clicks.

That's true! lol
    But I think that some kioks have advanced features such as pressure detection.

• User profile image
    curobosqui

Although a program might work unchanged in a touchscreen environment, there are some things that you need to look out for. True, controls tend to need to be larger because of peoples' chubby fingers (in comparison to a cursor pointer), but there's more to it.

Because of the touch screen, there is no mouse cursor. Take a palm or pocket pc for example.

This means that there is no status feedback like the hourglass, which your application might need to provide on its own. Pocket pc devices show an animation in the middle of the screen.

There is also no "mouse enter", "mouse over" and "mouse leave" events in the sense that the user can't hover the mouse over a control or some aspect of the interface. This translates in the absence of tooltips among other things.

If the application is targeted for a kiosk or something similar, a keyboard might not be present and thus text input becomes harder or alternate means of input could be desirable.

I would suggest that you look up information on user interaction (or usability engineering) in general and not for C# in particular. "Nielsen" comes to mind.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.