Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Registry Access

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    risu

I hope that this isn't too trivial and that I'm not wasting anyone's time.

Will the next framework release contain expanded registry access options. By this  I mean .net ways of accessing and modifying non-HKEY_LOCAL_USERS keys? It seems the only way to do so is to make use of the WIN32 API's.

We've written classes to facilitate this access and hide the WIN32 calls (well another developer did I'm just asking now that I know about it).

Was access to only HKEY_LOCAL_USERS a security feature by the framework developers. Is it intended to prevent unintentional access to the registry or inappropiate access?

It is already as easy to access any part of the registry I was just hoping for a more unified way of accessing the registry as a whole rather than one way for one section and a second way for all other sections

Thanks,
    Risu

• User profile image
    aza

Don't the Microsoft.Win32.Registry and RegistryKey classes have everything you need? As far as I was aware you could open any key you liked, providing you had permissions, using these classes...

Micorosft.Win32.Registry.Users corresponds to HKEY_USERS, I don't have a HKEY_LOCAL_USERS (WinXP).

Aaron

• User profile image
    risu

Wow. I stand corrected. Outstanding MS. Here I thought all these bad things...

Thanks Aza, once again showing off my lack of knowledge. I'll just stick to lurking. Smiley

Thanks,
    Risu

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.