Tech Off Thread

7 posts

DX10 in Longhorn?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • Pseudo

After reading the WinHEC slides on Avalon text rendering I'm interested hearing what features of DX10 will help to accelerate the text.  The slides dont really ellaborate, but the picture shows that it can hanndel the "glyph cache" where a DX9 card cant.  What's going on in this stage that needs DX10?  I assume it has something to do with triangle generation from a shader, but that's just a guess.

Beyond3d has an article that talks about some of the features, but any extra info would be of interest.

Will DX10 ship with Longhorn?

• Pseudo

hum...guess you're not suppose to talk about it yet.

• Shizza

By no ways is this from MS but it might just be called "XNA".

http://www.microsoft.com/xna/

• Steve411

Now that is what I call one heck of a crash!

• Shizza

Ya those are some nice videos.

• GooberDLX

Somehow I have a feeling that DX10 will arrive and possibly DX11 before Longhorn ships.. though conceveably it will use DX10.

With hardware outperforming software, do we need to worry about it?

Jake

• Pseudo

XNA is something different.  It's going to be a higher level set of API's used to cut down on boilerplate code in future games.  It may use DX10, but it isn't DX10.

Also, I very much doubt that DX11 will be out before Longhorn.  DX9 was designed to be a reatively long lasting api compared to previous versions, and we still dont have a retail card that supports pixel shader model 3.0

DX10 would no doubt contain several more 'profiles' that will take another 2-3 years for the hardware to catch up.

When it comes to DirectX, the software is definately outpacing the hardware.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.