Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XP Home doesn't install Service Packs

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    process_this

I reformatted a couple of weeks ago and now when I try to re-install SP1 or SP2, I get a message that says "Service Pack x setup canceled." whenever I try to start the install.
    Before anyone asks, yes, it is a legit copy of Windows XP Home Ed.
    I have tried installing in safe mode and killing everything (including explorer.exe) and then opening it from Task Manager, but nothing seems to work - help me please!

System specs if it helps:
    Intel Celeron 2.4GHz
    512MB DDR-RAM
    1x 30GB Seagate HDD
    1x 20GB Seagate HDD
    MSI Motherboard
    No dual-booting OS

• User profile image
    Lwatson

I know you say it is a legit copy of XP home. But is it registered properly with Microsoft. I had a system once that would not register ( It was XP Pro though ). Until I was able to register it via the registration dohickey I was unable to apply any of the large service packs. Though I could apply some of the critical updates for security purposes...

• User profile image
    process_this

you mean activation, no it hasnt been activated yet because I have re-formatted one too many times and now it wants a new CD key. SO you think that is the problem?

• User profile image
    Lwatson

I think that is likely.

More than once I have had to call up Microsofts activation lines and provide all manner of reasons for the new install of an old CD Key because Mobo changes and what not.

Just my thoughts but maybe someone from the horses mouth as it were could elaborate....

• User profile image
    Andy914

There are a couple of knowledgebase articles you may want to try.  One specifies your exact error message:

"Service Pack 1 Setup Canceled" Error Message When You Install Windows XP SP1

Another specifies problems you can have installing other updates.  You don't mention whether you're having this problem with all updates or just service packs, but I'll throw it in just in case:

You cannot install some updates or programs

The second article helped me troubleshoot my father-in-laws computer which was hit with 6 different worms/viruses and several adware programs, some of which took steps to ensure that updates couldn't install from windows update.

If you want, an easy way to search for more possible kb articles is to run this search on google:

service pack setup canceled site:microsoft.com

Good Luck!

• User profile image
    Lwatson

I also cannot remember what particular thing was not installing. It may have been some of the .NET framework or one of the critical updates but I found that the problem was actually that somehow the LOOPBACK device ( The phantom network adapter at 127.0.0.1 ) was somehow uninstalled on this particular machine. After getting that one back in there the thing installed just fine.

• User profile image
    process_this

Thanks Andy914, the first one helped a little - the first regsrv command didnt work (regsvr32.exe licdll.dll [specified module could not be found]), the second one was ok though, and installing SP2 RC1 got to checking product key then gave the same message as before.
    Now I am really confused *scratches head*
    Any other ideas?
    Cheers

• User profile image
    Andy914

[specified module could not be found] is a fancy way of saying that regsvr32.exe could not find the licdll.dll file when it tried to register it.  That is bad, since I'm pretty sure the SP2 install program needs this file to install.  This could be the problem.

On my machine, this file is located in the c:\windows\system32 drive, which is the same place REGWIZC.dll is located.  Could it be that licdll.dll got deleted somehow? 

I don't know much about what this file does, but you may be able to get away with copying it from another machine if you find it doesn't exist on yours.  Copy it into your c:\windows\system32 directory, then register it with the "regsvr32 licdll.dll" command (without the quotes).

• User profile image
    process_this

Thanks guys, all fixed now Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.