Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio Versions

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    figuerres

Ok so this may not be for everyone but...

I have a client who pays me to maintian his J++ app.

untill he decides to move on I have a problem with the way VS.Net wants to handle .sln files and .Java files....

1) I wish 2003 had an option to not try and take over! is it hidden some where?

2) ok so if I just load the J++ .sln file with J++ thats ok and means I do not have to hack the reg. / mime data and I can upgrade later but....

the Icon maps to VS.NET's IDE so clicking takes me to the wrong IDE and all that

IDEA:  map .sln files to a "Loader" that reads the first line and then passes the .sln file to the right version of vs.net

as in:

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 1.00
    or
    Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 8.00

I wonder if anyone has done this kind of thing already?
    if anyone knows of a better way to handle this?

Ideas?
    comments?

thanks!

• User profile image
    Blkbam

figuerres wrote:

IDEA:  map .sln files to a "Loader" that reads the first line and then passes the .sln file to the right version of vs.net

as in:

or

I've written an app simalar to what you're trying do.  I wrote a custom app that displayed pdf files without loading the full version of Acrobat (not Reader) but sometimes I wanted to use Acrobat.  I associated the the extension with my app and launched a menu to choose what I wanted to open the file with.

It's shouldn't be too hard for you to do the same though I'm sure in your case it would be nice for the IDE to handle that for you.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Blkbam wrote:
    figuerres wrote:

as in:

or

I've written an app simalar to what you're trying do.  I wrote a custom app that displayed pdf files without loading the full version of Acrobat (not Reader) but sometimes I wanted to use Acrobat.  I associated the the extension with my app and launched a menu to choose what I wanted to open the file with.

It's shouldn't be too hard for you to do the same though I'm sure in your case it would be nice for the IDE to handle that for you.

Yea I have a working app, a bit ugly and simple but it works....

and yes part of why I made the post was to hopefully get a few of the MS folks to see it and think about the issue...

I'd love it if VS 2005 would have a "Side by side" option ... like that...

the *REAL* problem is that sooo amny apps still use the way old DOS style maping of apps to .xxx file extensions....

one thing I have always liked about the mac os is the idea of the file having a "CREATOR" attribute that is used to find the app that wrote the file...

have the directory store a hash value that is a key into a list of applications....
    so for example VS 2002 , 2003, 2005, 6.xx would have a uniqe Hash code and the system would run the app that matches the code.
    have a second value "Doc Type" that would inidcate the "Generic" or "root" app like
    Text file
    Word Doc
    Visual Studio Solution
    and so on...
    and use that to figure out if another app on the system can open the doc....

bye bye .xxx hell, welcome real "Filenames"
    and this could also help with the viral email problem
    as the OS would scan files and see that even though it claims to be a .jpeg or a .pif it REALLY is a
    Binary x86 WIn32 program
    and treat it as that....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.