Tech Off Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Vista

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Mixpower

Hello,

I have an problem, i have windows vista for a while now but i don't get it to work with my raid controller. Sad

Does anyone know dis problem or know an solution ?

Thnx Smiley

Greetz Mixpower

• User profile image
    Criminet

the raid controler must load before the operating system, have you installed the driver??

• User profile image
    Mixpower

No, because my raid controller is not onboard, its on the PCI.
    But will that be a problem? in xp installation i must press F6 to install my raid controller

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

At the Select Partition screen [JPG 68KB], click Load Driver. Provide the disk. I have no idea whether an XP/2003 compatible driver will work, but that should be how to do it.

• User profile image
    Mixpower

No, that doesn't work wit hthe xp driver Sad

Thanks anyway

Greetz Mixpower

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

Is there a compatibility list yet? I'd love to load Vista on my Dell 8400, but I am also concerned about the Intel SATA Raid controller.

• User profile image
    jrfree1

I have a Dell xps using the Intel 82801FR SATA RAID controller, and loading the driver during Vista install worked great! Just make sure you install from boot and not starting setup from within xp.

• User profile image
    nicholasbed​worth

Couple of questions:

I'm trying to install 5384 on a Dell XPS 400, and during the pre-install inspection, Vista is complaining that it doesn't have the SATA RAID controller driver, and that one will need to be provided during install.

1. Where to I find the Vista driver for the 82801GR/GH SATA RAID controller, and

2. How do I make it available for Vista to find? Do I download the driver and point Vista to it?

Thanks for these very, very basic questions.

Nick

• User profile image
    Rup

I had the same problem today trying to install Vista on a Supermicro 5035G-T with the 82801.

The 2005/03 64-bit XP drivers supplied by Supermicro don't work - the machine reboots after crcdisk.sys - but the 2006/05 drivers here

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2101

do work. The zip contains an exe that write the drivers to a floppy and Vista will read the drivers from the disk.

• User profile image
    tedco

Can anyone post the Intel floppy files? I downloaded the .exe to put the files on a CD-R (as I don't have a floppy) and the the .exe wants me to "Insert a Disk in Drive A:" - the larger download is also an executable that Vista doesn't recognize as a driver - or a tip on how to create a map a floppy to a folder, so I can burn them on a CD-R. Many thanks,

• User profile image
    tedco

oh, I've got a 82801FR.

• User profile image
    Riddles In The Dark

For me Vista is XP on steroids

have XP with a new theme.

• User profile image
    Spinnacre

I was able to finally get the 64-bit Vista Beta-2 installed on an Intel D975XBX motherboard with a 82801 GR/GH SATA-II RAID controller running 2 SATA-II drives in RAID 0.

I was having the error "The device driver [name of driver] could not be installed. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media" every time... even using the drivers that I eventually succeeded with: 6/6/2006 driver for XP-64 Pro (following the link posted by Rup... thanks),

Changes to the BIOS made the difference, but I'm not sure exactly which ones:  

I previously had:

Drive Configuration:
       SATA: Enabled
       Mode: RAID
       Hard Disk Pre-Delay: 0

I left those unchanged and I changed:

Drive Configuration:
       Use Automatic Mode: Disabled
       Hard Disk Pre-Delay: 25
    Chipset Configuration:
       HPET: Enabled

If I had to guess, I would say that the HPET (High Precision Event Timers) setting made the difference, so for those of you with other motherboads, I would look for a similar option in your BIOS.  

Also, it may have been the Hard Disk Pre-Delay setting, which I fully intend to turn back to 0 after Vista is up and running a while.  Just to see if that may be the winner.

• User profile image
    MB

Riddles In The Dark wrote:
    For me Vista is XP on steroids

have XP with a new theme.

For me, Vista is a waste of space right now... I stopped beating my head against the wall and discovered that it stopped hurting. Tongue Out

They'll eventually sort it out, but I see that even Bill is now saying he's only 80% confident it'll ship in January, and will be happy to delay again if needs be.

• User profile image
    Rangus

Hey Guys

I have a similare problem.
    I loaded the WINDOWS VISTA dvd, and went all the way to the Hard Drive partition screen.

And then it asks me to install a driver to the 4GB Maxtor HDD, since that's the hdd im planning to install VISTA to

Where can I find the right driver for my 4GB Maxtor HDD, or whats the best solution to my problem?

Kind Regards

Rangus

• User profile image
    cheong

Rangus wrote:

And then it asks me to install a driver to the 4GB Maxtor HDD, since that's the hdd im planning to install VISTA to

Where can I find the right driver for my 4GB Maxtor HDD, or whats the best solution to my problem?

Kind Regards

Rangus

I assume no driver is needed for IDE partition, but 4GB partition might just be not enough for Vista installation (Minimum 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space).

So I think it actually tell you that "it can find no drive suitable to install Vista on".

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.