Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

peer to peer cell's

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Just talking about skype in the coffeehouse reminded me of this.

will peer to peer mobiles come out, using wifi rather than sats.  Working on the basics of skype by finding the fastest way to the other caller. 

bah it's 6am i have trouble describing it.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Jaz wrote:
    Just talking about skype in the coffeehouse reminded me of this.

will peer to peer mobiles come out, using wifi rather than sats.  Working on the basics of skype by finding the fastest way to the other caller. 

bah it's 6am i have trouble describing it.

some of the problems:

adding the additional transiver stuff.
    adding the logic for negotiating more channels/peers
    security issues
    signal strength
    signal compatibility/

if my phone works on network "A" and your phone works on network "C" the inter-op that links our calls happens in the phone system not in the radio / cell system.  this is why some phones can not work on some carries networks unless you buy a model that uses that encoding method.

while I think it would be better to have a world-wide cell standard that's a long ways off from today.

some folks are working on a "cellular" broadband that is IP / digital in it's basic tech. but everyone using it has to buy a new phone. and all the carriers have to buy new transivers.... just imagine the cost!

• User profile image
    Tryfen

UMTS (aka 3G) has some P2P functionality.  If user A is outside Cell (C) coverage and within range user B, who is in C's coverage area, A can piggyback to the cell.
    A -> B -> C

There are several problems with this...
    1) B's battery life reduces
    2) B's call quality could reduce
    3) C's call could drop if B moves out of range

Terry
    - Not speaking for VF-UK in any way.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.