Tech Off Thread

5 posts

WinHTTP and firewall settings

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Darrell

Hi

I am trying to use an ASP page to call a HTTPS url using the MSXML2.XMLHTTP object. However, the server has some firewall restrictions and I need to let the IT guys know what protocols and port numbers I need to open to allow this ASP page to access and external HTTPS url

If someone has any ideas that would extremelly useful

Thanks

Darrell

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I think it's port 119.

• User profile image
    AT

You need to enable outgoing connection from this server to Port 443 (SSL/HTTPS). As well if you need to access HTTP pages using XMLHTTP you also need outgoing connection to port 80 (HTTP).

Protocol are TCP. (not a UDP and not any other)

As well in case if you will have problems resolving host-names you need your IT people to configure DNS servers correctly.

I do not know any more possible problems preventing your use.

P.S> The best solution will be for IT to configure Web-proxy and your XMLHTTP configured to use this proxy to access internet.
    This way you will not need to have DNS and connectivity to internet as well your IT will be happy as they can monitor all activities ;o)

Take a read Q289481 INFO: You May Need to Run ProxyCfg Utility for ServerXMLHTTP to Work.

• User profile image
    gregoryw

ZippyV wrote:
    I think it's port 119.

No, port 119 is NNTP (i.e. Newsgroups).

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Whoops, you're right it's 443 on tcp.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.