Tech Off Thread

24 posts

Discuss the DIY with Tony Northrup series on Coding4Fun

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • ksharkey

We're starting a new article/video series on Coding4Fun called, "DIY with Tony Northrup". This series is aimed at (initially) wiring and coding your house. Discuss the items here. Note that if you add the C4F RSS feed to your podcast aggregator, you can now get the videos.

• dnz63

Strange article
    may be to lammers.

• briankel

dnz63 wrote:
    Strange article
    may be to lammers.

Umm... what? <g>

• RobChartier
  • briankel

RobChartier wrote:

Thanks for the link, Rob! Cool articles. Smiley
    In the next video Tony shows us how to do the software components, of course. Do you mind if we link to your articles as well once we post the next one? You have gone into quite a bit of depth and it would be nice for additional reading if readers want.

All the best -
    Brian Keller & the Coding4Fun Team

• RobChartier

Feel free to link at will, make sure you let Tony know as well that the software is free to use so he doesnt have to write anything from scratch.

• trbuckley

Great video.  One question though: is it necessary, as was demonstrated in this video, to change your shirt before you switch the circuit breaker off and on?

• BSalita

Would like to see an article about creating a web page/service interface to an IR blaster. I want to be able to use a web page/service to send IR signals to my IR based devices.

• Grayson​Peddie

Hi. I've watched the video about X10 and I'm going to be purchasing the ActiveHome Pro with light/appliance modules and I would like to say that it's very cool.

Hovever, about the difficulty about replacing a light switch, this is correct. The reason I say this is because those who are visually impaired--I would not recommend doing this project. Instead, I would recommend you buy the X10 Screw-In Lamp. Just take out the bulb from the light socket (just don't touch the inner part of the light socket once you take it out), screw in your bulb to a Screw-In lamp module (you might want to set the house/unit code first before you screw in your bulb), and screw the lamp module into the light socket.

Much easier than having to turn off the electricity and replace the light switch. Oh and by the way, you can probably override the light switch when you turn on or off the light using an X10 controller.

Hope this helps. Smiley

PS: I'm going to be custom-ordering a 16-piece system with Platinum 5-in-1 remote, Palm Pad Remote Control, Credit Card Sized Controller, Standard Slimline Switch, 8 lamp/appliance modules (not undimmable socket or wall switch/outlet), and two EagleEye motion sensors (view here). See ya! Big Smile

• Northrup

> One question though: is it necessary, as was demonstrated in this video, to change your shirt before you switch the circuit breaker off and on?

Man, I can't believe you guys noticed that. I wore the same shirt for a week while I was filming, until my wife finally got sick of me wearing the same clothes. I forget to wear the shirt once, and notice half-way through filming of that scene. I told myself, this isn't exactly The Matrix, people aren't going to be nit-picking it for flaws...

...Good eye Smiley

• Ephraim

I wanted to see how you would interface X10 with applications or webpages to control devices. Did i miss anything?

• raswirsky

Your bedroom is spotless! I wish I could get my house to look that good.

If you have a wife, why can't SHE turn off the light by her side of the bed? It was entertaining watching you roll around on the bed, but I think that scenario was a bit contrived.

• Xepol

I've had X10 modules in past (along with a really cool timer module that let me program all my modules to turn on and off at fixed times.  I used it as an alarm clock.  Nothing says get up like 500 watts of light streaming from all points in the room!)

HOWEVER, as cool as they are, they DO NOT WORK with aluminum wiring.  The RF signals *MIGHT* propigate far enough to get to the other side of the room (if they are side by side  on the same wire run), but another room in the house is totally out of the question.

Unfortunately, aluminum is a very poor conductor of RF signals.  If you don't have all copper wiring, don't bother wasting a single dollar on X10.

• raswirsky

In my (copper wired) house, X10 is generally unreliable. I use it for some lights, but I have both types of failures--failure of the receiver to get the signal, and "falses" where a light turns on for no reason at all.

(It's a single-family detached home, so I doubt I get interference from the neighbors.)

• Citezein

I'm not sure if there's going to be a follow-up article about actually controlling your X10 stuff with code, but if so, people may be interested in my X10 library on my site. It controls the CM17A Firecracker module and is compatible with version 1.1 of the .Net Framework.

For those of you with CM11A devices, I have a version that operates with that device as well. It is only for .NET 2.0 Beta 2. If you're interested contact me via my website and I'll send it out. If the author of this article is going to write code to talk to a CM11A, he might want to get some of the code from me first, since a lot of the work has already been completed.

Brian

http://brian.vallelunga.com/code/x10/

• crazyhuque

Nice video...I've actually taken up a project few weeks ago to convert my home into a smart home. This video helps a lot...looking forward for the up coming videos....

• Grayson​Peddie

I have CM15A with ActiveHome Pro.

• kpfeif

Great article.  I've brand new to .NET - I just installed the Express version - and I was amazed to see this little app idea. 

I've been doing some lightweight X10 stuff at home for a few years, and I was actually getting ready to write a new app.  Everything up to now has been in Java using some open source libraries I found, but perhaps I'll give C#.NET a try.

Here's the application....we have a 2 1/2 year old, who just moved into his "big" bed.  If he steps into the hallway, we'd like to know about it - perhaps our bedroom light will turn on.  The problem, of course, is to arm the system only at night.  So, I'll set up some sort of listener that happens to care only when we want it to. 

X10 has been very reliable in my house.  My home theatre lighting system is based on it, and I've used it here and there for other little applications.  For instance, a motion sensor in the garage will trigger the entryway light to turn on.  My wife loves this, as well as the small nightlight that turns on in our bedroom if the garage door is open.  I no longer have to get up and check when my wife asks, "is the garage closed?"

Kris

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.