Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Pocket PC Today screen item

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Does anyone know if you can create an item for the today screen on windows Mobile 2003 SE using c# (v2.0).  A link to an example would be great.  I have found how to do it in C++, you just export a couple of functions, but I would like to do it in c#.

All I need to do is add a big shortcut much the same way TomTom does, if you've ever used that.

Thanks

Stephen.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

The .NET Framework does support exporting 'flat' functions like this, but C# does not offer the feature. You have to use either IL or C++.

I don't think Compact Framework supports the feature at all. I think you're stuck with using C++. I can't even think of a way to use a small C++ stub to load an object written with C#, since I don't think Compact Framework 2.0 supports exposing COM objects written in C# (IIRC, unlike v1.0, consuming COM objects is supported).

• User profile image
    andokai
  • User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Ugh. I feel ill after reading that. It passes data in shared memory between a C++ stub DLL and a managed EXE. That's such a horrible kludge and a painful waste of memory and processes (remember that you only have 32 process slots on a Windows CE device).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Mike Dimmick wrote:
    emember that you only have 32 process slots on a Windows CE device.

Then why does Windows CE (and its derivatives) still have the habit of not letting you "close" programs without a 3rd Party app or via the Control Panel?

• User profile image
    amotif

W3bbo wrote:
    Mike Dimmick wrote:emember that you only have 32 process slots on a Windows CE device.

Then why does Windows CE (and its derivatives) still have the habit of not letting you "close" programs without a 3rd Party app or via the Control Panel?

There's no real need to give you that functionality, as there's no compelling need to shut them down manually. CE will close apps when resources are in short supply. (Yes, this should affect your application design.) For example, here's some info on handling low memory states.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

amotif wrote:
    There's no real need to give you that functionality, as there's no compelling need to shut them down manually. CE will close apps when resources are in short supply. (Yes, this should affect your application design.) For example, here's some info on handling low memory states.

That's not the best behaviour for seriously resource hogging apps. Give PocketQuake a whirl on a PocketPC 2000 PDA with PocketWord with a vector drawing open.

• User profile image
    amotif

W3bbo wrote:

That's not the best behaviour for seriously resource hogging apps. Give PocketQuake a whirl on a PocketPC 2000 PDA with PocketWord with a vector drawing open.

That's not the best app for a resource-constrained platform. Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

amotif wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

That's not the best app for a resource-constrained platform.

Well, with PocketDoom I get around 20fps. PocketQuake gets me about 1fps. On the other hand, CellDoom on my phone gets around 30fps. Of course the screen resolution is a lot smaller.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.