Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows XP 64-bit vs 32bit

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Simo

My firm uses dual CPU HP Workstations. I went to get a new one today and learnt that HP would only provide 64-bit hardware for their dual CPU machines.

They gave me the choice of OS XP Pro 32bit or 64bit. (Yes beer... there was also linux choices as well - Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3&4)

These machines are only going to run 32 bit apps (Excel & Bloomberg mainly)  and the machine will only have 2Gb ram. So should I go for XP-64 and let Windows run the 32bit apps. Or put on XP-32 and let the intel architecture support the 32-bit OS?

Me... ain't got a clue. I guess XP-32 with my sensible hat on & XP-64 with my geek hat on.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

"only" 2GB of RAM, dual-CPU 64-bit workstations for running Excel?

...has your company's procurement department been smoking anything recently?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I agree with W3bbo about the total overkill of those machines for the job you describe.

Anyway, the main pitfall you need to worry about is drivers, but I suppose since they're giving you the option to use XP x64 they've already made sure that's not a problem. Some of the other potential problems I've outlined here.

XP x64 offers virtually no performance advantage for running 32 bit applications. Of course Windows itself, being mostly 64 bit, tends to be slightly faster than normal XP on 64 bit hardware. That's my impression anyway.

• User profile image
    Simo

W3bbo wrote:
    ...has your company's procurement department been smoking anything recently?
    The company's "procument department" would be me. ;-)And the answer's no. It's just when it comes to spec-ing workstations for traders - I don't like to (I need to watch my language) about.Spreadsheets we run get to about 10-20mb in size quickly and have a lot of "real-time" price links. People will run at least four or five of these plus trading applications. It all keeps a hyper-threaded dual CPU machine busy.O - and my customers don't like it when they're shown an hourglass.

• User profile image
    brussell

I use Reuters, which is probably much like your bloomberg, and I need a fast machine to keep up due to huge Excel files and the charting. Though I'm not lucky enough to get something that fast. I have a 2.8 GHZ HT P4 with a GB of RAM. Though I do the development, not the trading, so I don't need to have as much going at once.

• User profile image
    Simo

brussell wrote:

I use Reuters, which is probably much like your bloomberg, and I need a fast machine to keep up due to huge Excel files and the charting. Though I'm not lucky enough to get something that fast. I have a 2.8 GHZ HT P4 with a GB of RAM. Though I do the development, not the trading, so I don't need to have as much going at once.

Same here, I'm just the developer. P4 & GB of ram.

Webbo & Sven ... forgot to mention I get quad-screen nvidia cards fitted to these things. Each one runs 3 or 4 19" Eizo monitors.

Anyways... looking at the discussion Sven pointed me at. XP-32 seems the sensible way to go.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Simo wrote:
    Webbo & Sven ... forgot to mention I get quad-screen nvidia cards fitted to these things. Each one runs 3 or 4 19" Eizo monitors.

Say... when are you next selling off your old equipment? Wink

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Simo wrote:
    Same here, I'm just the developer. P4 & GB of ram.

Sounds about the same as any trading bank I've had to deal with.  The network control rooms in some of these places are a sight to behold!

Stephen. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.