Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Questions about Windows MCE

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    MasterPi

Hey C9 (and Microsoft)!

I was thinking of purchasing Windows Media Center Edition, and I had a couple of questions.

1.) Will I be able to install Windows MCE if I don't exactly have an adequate tv tuner card (or not have one in the first place)? I understand that the tv capabilities of MCE will not work, however, will I still be able to install MCE and use all the other functions of MCE? Also, when I do get a good tv tuner card that will work with MCE, could I just install it and immediately will MCE's tv tuner capabilities function?

2.) I heard that Windows MCE is like XP Professional.  Will I have all the functionality of XP Professional (including the extra functions of MCE)?

3.) Are there any restrictions of MCE I should know about (like drivers, software compatibility, etc)?

Thanks!

mVPstar

• User profile image
    W3bbo

As far as I'm aware, MCE is a superset of Windows XP Pro, so you'll have all the fancy extra MMC Add-Ins, Domain Support, extra CLI tools, etc...

• User profile image
    Steven J Ackerman

XP MCE is XP Pro with the MCE 'bits' added.

However, unlike XP Pro, it is very strict about what hardware functionality is required for media operation.

I would recommend not installing it until you have the complete, correct target hardware assembled. There is a web page that lists the approved hardware components, but I can't find it at the moment.

You will require the Microsoft MCE remote control, which is usually bundled with the OEM MCE software to circumvent the OEM only restriction.

A good site for exchanging MCE tips and tricks (since its OEM only, you will have no Microsoft support) is:

The Green Button

Good luck.  I've built two custom MCE boxes with good results.

• User profile image
    Aber

"1.) Will I be able to install Windows MCE if I don't exactly have an adequate tv tuner card (or not have one in the first place)? I understand that the tv capabilities of MCE will not work, however, will I still be able to install MCE and use all the other functions of MCE? Also, when I do get a good tv tuner card that will work with MCE, could I just install it and immediately will MCE's tv tuner capabilities function?"

Yes you will be able to use all features except the TV functions. As far as being able to add a TV card later on i really don't know i have always had a card in mine. But i would assume you would be able to just install the card and go into MCE's settings to set it up.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Not having a tv tuner card shouldn't interfere with being able to use Windows, should it?

My hardware config is fine for MCE I think:
    Athlon64 3200+ Venice
    GeForce 6600GT
    2x 512MB RAM
    AC'97 8 channel integrated audio

Just, I don't have a good tv tuner for it.  I have the AverMedia AverTv USB tv tuner and it's not listed anywhere under MCE compliant tv tuner cards.

Thanks!

mVPstar

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.