Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Speech recognition in Windows Vista

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    brussell

Has anyone played with the speech recognition in Windows Vista? It is pretty fun. I wrote a program that you typed something, it would read it, save it as an audio file, and then convert it back to text. It didn't do that great, so I am now using that program to have it do the Voice Training in hopes it will better understand itself after I do. I'm not sure that it will work though.

Edit: And yes, I am aware it is completely pointless to have it read text and then make it text again. It is just fun to watch it do it and makes for a somewhat good learning experience.

• User profile image
    brussell

Cool! I finished making the speech train itself, and now it recognizes what it speaks better.
    Before the training, I typed "This is a test".
    When I had the computer speak it and then recognize what it said, it came back with "this is a tab".
    Now it gets that right.

It still doesn't do all that great.
    Maybe I need to do some of the additional training they have available for it.
    I typed "This is a harder test" it read it correctly, but when it tried to recognize it I got back "this is a Carter test"

Edit: Here is my first post on this thread typed into the program, read by the computer, and then recognized back as text:
    "has anyone played with the speech recognition in windows Mr. tint is pretty fun I wrote a program that you typed something"

I really think I need it to do the additional training because it improved a lot after doing the first training and it does read it very well for a computer voice.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Hehe, self-training programs...the revolution is here!!!

mVPstar

• User profile image
    brussell

mVPstar wrote:
    Hehe, self-training programs...the revolution is here!!!

mVPstar

Yeah Smiley
    Unfortunatly, it doesn't always read well enough for it to understand itself correctly.
    I did a second training exercise that didn't seem to help it much more and got tired of it. I am still impressed by the quality of the reading. It is the best I've heard. It could still use work and gets words wrong, but some sentences it reads so well it sounds almost like a person. Other sentences, it is so choppy you can't really tell what it is reading.
    Even with those problems, after the training it really only had a problem with some sounds. I never noticed them come up in the training, so that is probably why it never got better at recognizing them.

I am tempted to bring in a microphone so I can see how well the voice recognition works with a person speaking.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Are there any new voices compared to what we got with Windows XP?

• User profile image
    brussell

ZippyV wrote:
    Are there any new voices compared to what we got with Windows XP?

Yes, I got one voice in Windows Vista and it is different than the voice I have in XP.

Microsoft Sam is what I have in Windows XP.
    It is a female voice (I don't remember the name and I'm on XP right now, I'll switch and post again later) on Windows Vista.

The Vista voice sounds much better. Some sentences sound so good, it almost sounds like a person, rather than a computer, reading it.
    Other sentences, it's choppy from the words not being said quite right to be next to each other.

• User profile image
    brussell

Looks like the voice I have on Windows Vista is Microsoft English (U.S.) v2.0 - Anna.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.