Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Error MSB3073 exited with code 3

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    daElite​Sniper

I have converted a project from VC++ 6.0 to VC++ 2010, and these are the steps I went through when I compiled the project:

• Clean Solution
    • Rebuild Solution or
    • Build Solution (The 1st time)

Here is the error I get when I follow those steps above:

error MSB3073: The command "regsvr32 /s /c "C:\SourceControl\MyProject\.\Debug\MyProject.dll" echo regsvr32 exec. time > ".\Debug\regsvr32.trg" echo Execute mtxrereg.exe before using MTS components in MTS

:VCEnd" exited with code 3. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets 183 6

However,  immediately after getting that error where I do just a "Build Solution" ONLY I get Build succeeded

Under Project > Properties > Configuration Properties > Custom Build Step I have Command Line:

regsvr32 /s /c "$(TargetPath)" echo regsvr32 exec. time > "$(OutDir)regsvr32.trg" echo Execute mtxrereg.exe before using MTS components in MTS

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can resolve it?

NOTE:  I do have VS 2010 set to "Run As Administrator"

Thanks

• User profile image
    daElite​Sniper

The issue that causes "Error MSB3073 exited with code 3" happens to be with the VALUE in the Outputs property under Project > Properties > Configuration Properties > Custom Build Step.

When I choose Edit for Outputs, a dialog box comes up.  I enter a value of "$(OutDir)\regsvr32.trg" in the upper textbox then click OK.  Now for some reason VS 2010 changes the display text to show "$(OutDir)\regsvr32.trg;%(Outputs)".  I'm not sure why or if that is the cause of the problem.

However, I will get "Build Successful" if I change my Output value to "<inherit from parent or project defaults>" instead of choosing Edit and putting a value in.  No more Error MSB3073 exited with code 3.

I guess I can say this issue is resolved but I'd like to know why/what causes this issue to begin with.

• User profile image
    Kountree

Thank you for the fix.  This in fact did solve the issue

• User profile image
    Inge​Henriksen

DllMain returning FALSE will cause this error.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.