Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Getting started with TFS Express 2012

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

I've been working with Visual SourceSafe for longer than I care to remember. I'm trying to get started using Team Foundation Server Express 2012. Where can I get some quick, get up to speed tutorials/videos/etc.?

• User profile image
    PopeDai

Excluding the more advanced features of TFS, I don't think it's a product that needs specific Getting Started advice considering your prior experience with source control systems - the discoverability of the tools in VS is good (visually indistinctive icons in VS2012 notwithstanding...) so please experiment - you can always Undo Smiley

I think the most important thing to remember is that the Solution Explorer view does not map 1:1 with source-control, because you can have files in the Solution that aren't in TFS, and contrarywise: files in TFS that aren't in the solution.

I don't have any experience with SourceSafe (besides reading data-loss and corruption horror stories) so I can't provide any specific examples, but I picked up TFS very quickly when I started playing with it in 2007.

Come to think about it, the only issues I had with TFS as a newcomer was understanding the sometimes cryptic error messages when working with project binding (VS > File > Source Control > Change Source Control), which unfortunately is something you will encounter if you're importing an existing project into TFS - creating a new project from scratch is considerably simpler.

I also recommend putting the Source Control Explorer button on your main toolbar, it's a very useful tool and window and I don't know why the VS guys chose to bury it under a View submenu. 

• User profile image
    gduncan411

Came across this in C9 Video Queue, "All Aboard the Team Foundation Server Express" http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2012/DEV346

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.