Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is the DbContext class defined and used differently in the version of C# for Visual Studio 2012 than in Visual Studio 2010?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    complete

Is the DbContext class defined and used differently in the version of C# for Visual Studio 2012 than in Visual Studio 2010?

I am using code written under Visual Studio 2010 as an example for a project I am writing for with Visual Studio 2012. I am having some difficulty using the DBContext class to instantiate a class. The code seems to required using the namespace System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure; and that does not seem to be defined in the newer System.Data.Entity reference.

• User profile image
    complete

Let's try this again...

Is the DbContext class defined and used differently in the version of C# for Visual Studio 2012 than in Visual Studio 2010?

I am using code written under Visual Studio 2010 as an example for a project I am writing for with Visual Studio 2012. I am having some difficulty using the DBContext class to instantiate a class. The code seems to required using the namespace System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure; and that does not seem to be defined in the newer System.Data.Entity reference.

To show you what I mean in coding terms, this is the line of code that does not compile:

using System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure;

This is the code snap shot in the Visual Studio 2012 that does not compile:

Generic Forum Image

It seems that "Infrastructure" is a component of "systems.data.entry.dll" that I have set as a reference:

Generic Forum Image

But wait, there is more.  The code, as it exists in the visual studio 2012, is copied from code from a project that does, in fact, compile in visual studio 2010.

Notice, that there is no little red curly line under Infrastructure when I declare that I am using the namespace System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure in Visual Studio 2010:

Generic Forum Image

The research I have done on this issue has lead to a dead-end.  This seems to be some sort of required add-in according to this web page::

Generic Forum Image

You see, the problem seems to be centered around declaring and using the DbContext class.  But when I tried running this program from Microsoft after I downloaded it, it showed me that it was not for Visual Studio 2012.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    spivonious

@complete: Do you need to install the latest EF via NuGet?

• User profile image
    JohnAskew
  • User profile image
    complete

What exactly is EF?

What exactly is NuGet?

Oh, JohnAskew just gave a link.  I will give it a go.

• User profile image
    complete

nugget ran and said everything is up-to-date, but I still have this issue.  Please advise.

• User profile image
    complete

Generic Forum ImageI think it has something to do with POCO.  Does anyone know about POCO?

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

@complete: Plain Old CLR Objects. These are .NET classes stripped down to bare bones, without inclusion of the Entity Framework (EF) namespaces and overhead. They are one of a few options for what generated code you desire EF to create as proxies for your database entities (tables).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2009/05/21/poco-in-the-entity-framework-part-1-the-experience.aspx

Sacha Barber is a prolific community member:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/316068/Restful-WCF-EF-POCO-UnitOfWork-Respository-MEF-1-o

Use NuGet to look for Entity Framework templates for POCO proxy generation...

• User profile image
    complete

I saw a tutorial on some other web site that offers example code.

It was incomplete but I used my powers of reasoning to figure out what was to fill into the blanks.  It had a .edmx file which provided a diagram of the database.  Through poking around on what new classes provided a .edmx file, I found a class to use.  The rest was easy, I just right clicked on the diagram of the database and followed the steps.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

@complete: schweeeet.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.