Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

.NET 2008 CRT Issue after Project Migration

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Steve Hathaway

I have been maintaining various C/C++ projects using Studio .NET 2003.

The CRT runtime is implemented in the files: msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll.  My projects are not using any of the Microsoft Framework (managed code) -- specifically avoided.

After migrating the development solutions and projects automatically to .NET 2008, these runtime files (msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll) are still required after building the projects.  These CRT (msvcr71.dll, msvcp71.dll) files are not available on a new platform with a fresh install of Studio .NET 2008.

What is required to eliminate the (msvcr71.dll, msvcp71dll) dependency inherited from Studio .NET 2003.  I would like to use the .NET 2008 runtime implemented by (msvcr80.dll, msvcp80.dll).

If I copy the old (msvcr71.dll, msvcp71.dll) files from the old Studio .NET 2003 platform the projects are executable.

- Steve

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Wouldn't those dependencies be listed under Project Properties > Linker > Advanced > Additional Dependencies?

• User profile image
    Steve Hathaway

Studio .NET 2008 shows "Additional Dependencies" under Project Properties > Linker > Input - where the *.lib files are specified.  The static *.lib files being built do not explicitly inherit the .NET 2003 runtime.

Looking elsewhere: I FOUND!  Configuration Properties > General > Inherited Property Sheets.

Has the content:
       $(VCInstallDir)VCProjectDefaults\UpgradeFromVC71.vsprops

Will removing this property sheet from the "General->Inherited Property Sheets" resolve my issue?  My largest application build solution currently has 110 (C/C++) projects.

- Steve

• User profile image
    Steve Hathaway

I found possibly a *.lib file for another module that was separately constructed using Studio 2003.  Linking this *.lib into my product may be forcing a dependency on MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL when my Studio 2008 application products are loaded into memory.

• User profile image
    ryanb

Yeah, that's the likely scenario.  Something else you are linking to has a dependency to the older libs.  If it is an option, it would be good to rebuild those libraries as well to use the 2008 runtime.  Having mixed runtime versions can create some big headaches.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.