Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Tablet or non-tablet PC with IPS panel for $499?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    androidi

edit: Can I move this to Coffeehouse somehow...

(little bit of exaggerated doom and gloom to follow, maybe)

Knowing how much PC OEMs charge premium for a laptop with IPS display, it's probably economical for PC OEMs to buy a ton of Ipad's, tear out the displays and put them into their offerings...

Perfect example why having too much choice* is bad, just like in Linux distributions. This fragments the market too much, leading to less development resources per business, drives up cost of quality (less volume per business, less leverage) and the low quality becomes dominant (race to the bottom - free or close to free is never good since free by definition "worthless").

I predict that unless PC OEMs get their act together and form an alliance to dictate terms to panel manufacturers**, Apple will eat the portable PC market out simply because as Apple will have the ability to dictate terms, getting all the supply of decent panels at cost which PC OEMs will only be able to get shi*ty panels because their shrinking market share which is of course due to the same issue that led Nokia to current state : way too much choice/models with not enough focus on quality at reasonable price points.

Non-Apple PC's will be delegated to developing markets and eventually Apple can drag down its costs, get exclusive deal on the best panel technology etc and maybe bring the quality down to a price point where other PC OEMS can't compete any longer.

So even if I feel the AAPL is way inflated ATM, the current progression of things suggest that even if something happens to S.Jobs, the PC OEMs won't get any smarter and Apple doesn't have to do anything too genious to get the entire market in the long run.

* by too much choice I mean a lot of choice all sharing some bad attribute, often forced by race to the bottom or drive to optimize cost related attributes (eg. shelf-life for food products)

** of course maybe they already have this alliance and chose to equip all PC's with cheap TN displays with the idea that since there's no choice everyone will have to accept that. Well $499 IPS tablet says that I don't think this can continue forever.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Not going to happen. Because your average consumer does not care about the panel tech if it means the laptop is $50 cheaper. And guess what most laptop makers are competing on? Price, and that's what they're always going to do because competing on quality is just a massive gamble not worth taking (for example, HP, Dell, and others all offer 'high quality' offerings comperable to Apple's MacBook Pro range, even at similar price-points, but they'll never be as popular or profitable as Apple, so why bother?)

I think it's unreasonable of you to expect to find high-quality merch for a cheap price point. A good laptop has always been more than $1000. A friend of mine runs a PC repair shop and a lot of the $800-$900 machines come in with crappy displays.

Just bite the bullet and pay the money. It's worth it.

(and it gives us something to be smug about Big Smile )

• User profile image
    androidi

The point was that Apple can do IPS for $499 but PC OEM can't do at any price. My current laptop cost $2k and it's shitty TN and every year I check the PC laptop market and it's the same story. There's just no decent panels out there no matter how much you pay. Currently I believe you can get IPS for $4000 but that's 17" not 12-15" range.

They don't even mention the panel usually even though it's the most important piece of tech and most expensive. It's like they sold the laptops without mentioning if it's AMD or Intel or specs of the gfx chipset.

And consumer of course can't care since they don't have much point of reference, all the laptops in most all shops on display have same crap panels. If they saw there was something much better out there without inflated premiums they'd go for it. $500 for a whole IPS tablet says that IPS panels cannot cost more than $200 If one pays $1000 for laptop then going for $100 more (assuming TN is $100) for better panel is a nobrainer.

Now can the OEMs get good panels for same price as Apple? Likely not if they don't get together like I said.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

, androidi wrote

The point was that Apple can do IPS for $499 but PC OEM can't do at any price. My current laptop cost $2k and it's shitty TN and every year I check the PC laptop market and it's the same story. There's just no decent panels out there no matter how much you pay. Currently I believe you can get IPS for $4000 but that's 17" not 12-15" range.

What product ranges are you looking at? Try checking out the 'business class' laptops from Lenovo (T-series), Dell (Latitude, Prescision M), HP (EliteBook), and Sony (T,S, and Z series), they all have good quality displays, often with a high-DPI option, and for less than $4000 in many cases.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Lack of IPS at normal prices is why I still use a CRT on my desktop. Just like MP3 versus CD, most people don't care about quality. They want it as cheap as possible.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

, spivonious wrote

Lack of IPS at normal prices is why I still use a CRT on my desktop. Just like MP3 versus CD, most people don't care about quality. They want it as cheap as possible.

Actually, the price of an IPS monitor now is compareable to the price of what a 'good' CRT monitor of a similar size used to cost: about $400-$600. So in a way they are at "normal prices".

Given how CRTs tend to degrade over time I'd certainly prefer a modern TN panel over an 8 year-old CRT (if only to avoid the phosphor glare and flickering, even at 85Hz).

If it's on your desk, you're going to be looking at it all day long. It's part of what earns you money, so you should do yourself a favour and invest in a good quality display. Your eyes will thank you for it.

• User profile image
    spivonious

, W3bbo wrote

*snip*

Actually, the price of an IPS monitor now is compareable to the price of what a 'good' CRT monitor of a similar size used to cost: about $400-$600. So in a way they are at "normal prices".

Given how CRTs tend to degrade over time I'd certainly prefer a modern TN panel over an 8 year-old CRT (if only to avoid the phosphor glare and flickering, even at 85Hz).

If it's on your desk, you're going to be looking at it all day long. It's part of what earns you money, so you should do yourself a favour and invest in a good quality display. Your eyes will thank you for it.

Surprisingly enough, my 10 year-old CRT at home is still going strong, and plenty bright too. It's a NEC Multisync FE791SB. 125dpi of awesomeness. Tongue Out

At work I'm stuck looking at two bottom-of-the-line Dell LCDs (P170S). I doubt they'd spring for an upgrade.

• User profile image
    dentaku

I have a 22" DELL 2209WA IPS display I bought when it was $120 off on the dell.ca website so it was only $230. I  liked it so much I wanted to buy a second one but they where all gone. They don't make that model anymore which is a shame because it's amazing. There IS a similar one available but it's 16/9 instead of 16/10 so it wouldn't be a perfect match (not a huge deal, I know).

My brother has a really nice 17" Corei7 HP laptop that has a screen that only looks half decent at a certain angle if you're sitting far from it. The viewing angles on those cheap TN LED backlit displays is horrible. His old Compaq Athlon 64 laptop had a far better display.

HP and companies like that should start using IPS panels on their higher end models. The people who buy expensive laptops are the only ones who would be willing to pay a bit extra for a display with accurate contrast anyway but it would help make more photographers choose their product over a macbook.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.