Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2008 and Windows SDK 7.1

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cro

How can we verify wich compiler VS is using ? I have install the SDK7.1 but I'm not sure that VS2008 use it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The changes from 7.0 and 7.1 are largely to do with integration with VS2010. If you're running VS2008 then you should stick with the 7.0 SDK.

I'm running 7.0 here and there's an entry on my Start Menu called "Visual Studio Registration" which is used to set things like paths in VS such as the binaries/executables path, which is presumably how it finds cl.exe.

As a hackish way to find out: just compile something big and open Task Manager. When cl.exe launches view its properties and find out the image path. That should tell you.

• User profile image
    cro

I have used the registration tool but it told me that vs2008 is not install. So I run the tool from the command line and it works. I will check cl.exe tomorow. Thanks.

• User profile image
    Dexter

A less hackish way to do it:

std::cout << _MSC_FULL_VER << std::endl;

• User profile image
    cro

_MSC_FULL_VER report 150030729 from within VS and 160030319 from the build environment.

• User profile image
    Dexter

So basically VS 2008 is using its own compiler and the build env is using the VC 2010 compiler. Frankly I'm not even sure if VS 2008 can use a newer compiler. What you tipically need to "integrate" with Visual Studio are the SDK headers and libraries.

• User profile image
    Magic​Andre1981

run the Windows SDK Configuration Tool ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\WindowsSdkVer.exe") to set which version VS2008 should use.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

, Dexter wrote

So basically VS 2008 is using its own compiler and the build env is using the VC 2010 compiler. Frankly I'm not even sure if VS 2008 can use a newer compiler. What you tipically need to "integrate" with Visual Studio are the SDK headers and libraries.

VS is using it's own compiler by default, but you can change it by right clicking on the project file in the solution and changing the build to a MAKEFILE build and copy-pasting the command line for your new compiler as the command line for the MAKEFILE to run.

Actually Microsoft does this a lot for their driver development and there's lots of help around for how to make VS use the WDK compiler rather than the VS compiler Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.