DCMonkey

Back to Profile: DCMonkey

Comments

• Windows 7: Find and Organize Part 1 - The User Experience

Can you create your own libraries in addition to adding locations to the existing ones?
  • The Channel 9 beta has been updated...

I'm not sure about this async/AJAX forum loading thing. I imagine performance will get better when the new c9 is moved to the "real servers", but then I go over to on10 (where they've only got 2 pages of posts), which already appears to have async forum loading, and I find the experience excruciatingly slow compared to today's Coffeehouse (at least most days). And even with better performance, I think seeing that progress animation makes it feel slower than it really is, especially when coming to the forum page 1 from elsewhere.

Edit: Of course it doesn't help that the new forum page appears to be about 100KB not even counting the actual forum topic data, whereas the current c9 home page is about 35KB

• FeedSync: ​Synchronizi​ng the Mesh

Understanding that they aren't in this tech preview release, are the features like Remote Differential Compression and
    the torrent style blob transfer planned for the actual v1 release?
  • FeedSync: ​Synchronizi​ng the Mesh

wkempf wrote:

DCMonkey wrote:
    Um, it's playing a "This Week" video.

It's on there if you have patience.

Edit: Never mind, it's not there.  Just related Mesh talk from the "This Week" video.

The links in the story itself are correct though.

Interesting stuff.

• FeedSync: ​Synchronizi​ng the Mesh

Um, it's playing a "This Week" video.
  • Ori Amiga: Programming the Mesh

I'm intrigued by this app provisioning thing. The example in the video appears to be some kind of client side HTML/JS/Silverlight app akin to an HTA or Vista Sidebar Gadget. What other types of apps will be supported? XBAP? ClickOnce? Standard MSIs or setup.exes?

How do you launch the apps? Will there be Start Menu integration or will they be listed within some Live Mesh specific location (or do we just sync the shorcuts/favorites)?
  • Abolade Gbadegesin: Live Mesh Architecture

cynthia399 wrote:
    One question:  When you sync your files can you do this without the items being stored on the internet?

I believe so. It was mentioned in the Channel 10 "hands on" video.
  • Dev Diary for April 15th

I like the Dev Diary idea. Keep em coming.

I also like the c9 "bug".

My issue with requiring LiveID isn't privacy or tinfoil hattery, but that I find it a PITA on a number of other sites that use it, primarily because it doesn't remember my password when I tell it to. I want to log into c9 and stay logged in on the two PCs I use to post here.

• Dave Campbell: SQL Server Data Services and the Future of Data in the Cloud

Now I'm all intrigued about what's going to come out for the right side of that unstructured-structured data spectrum.

• IE 8: On the Path to Web Standards Compliance - ACID 2 Test Pass Complete

W3bbo wrote:

zian wrote:

Wohoo! This is the first time I wish we had a party icon on C9.

We just got Frontpage'd on Digg!

W3bboW3bbo made popular 16 min ago

Cool

Congrats IE8 team! (and w3bbo too)
  • Soma, Carol Grojean, Jeff Beehler: Visual Studio 2008 RTM!!!

BlackTiger wrote:
    Seems like Akamai Download Manager doesn't works in IE7 on Vista...

When normal MSDN Subscriber's links will be available?

Works for me.*

Not that the initial experience was that good. I had to disable the popup blocker for that site. It wouldn't save to my downloads folder on another drive It popped up some ancient stone age file save dialog box, and it immediately said it had saved the file to my temporary internet files and asked if I wanted to open that folder. I eventually figured out it was probably referring to some stub file listing the downloads to be "managed" and not the actual download.

Once I got past all that the actual download seems to be proceeding at a reasonable pace.

*Edit: I take that back. This Akamai cr*p is an f*ing joke on Vista. When it asks you if you want to open the temporary internet files folder, DO IT!. If you don't, you'll spend the next half hour trying to figure out where it put your f*ing download (navigating there afterwards wasn't showing the Vistualized folder). I finally found it by starting another download and answering yes to open the folder and there it was.

If, as the FAQ says, one of the reasons for using Akamai for Top Downloads is to "evaluate alternatives", then I say the evaluation= FAIL.

This piss-poor experience has really put a damper on my excitement. Hopefully I'll perk up a bit when I install VS2008 later tonight.

PS: I know this probably isn't the VS team's fault but that of the MSDN people. Congrats on shipping. I'm looking forward to using VS2008!
  • Pat Brenner: New Updates to MFC in Visual Studio 2008

An interesting detail not covered in the video:

BCGSoft Co Ltd today announced that Microsoft Corporation has integrated our BCGControlBar Professional Edition technology in the next version of the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) library.

The significant parts of the BCGControlBar Pro classes -- such as visual managers, docking panes, fully-customizable toolbars/menus and Office 2007-style ribbon bars -- were merged with existing MFC classes to enable developers to create a modern, up-to-date user interface with just a few lines of code.

-- http://www.bcgsoft.com/pressreleases/PR071110.pdf