Introducing Microsoft SQL Server Developer Tools,Code-Named "Juneau": An Introduction to Doing Database Development in a Modern WayMay 23, 2011 at 5:37PM
1. We are not yet ready to discuss the SKU support or pricing for SQL Server Developer Tools, Code-named "Juneau". Sorry. When we are ready, the details will be available via our MSDN site http://msdn.com/data/tools.aspx
2. You are correct to say that these tools are the natural descendents of the "Data Dude" tools in Visual Studio 2010 Premium and Ultimate editions. In our V1 offering, shipping with SQL Server "Denali", we will have a few notable missing items as enumerated on the later slides of the presentation, but many of these will be made available shortly after Visual Studio "vNext" ships. Developers working in Visual Studio 2010 will have the option to convert their projects to work in the new project type as shown in this demo, or carry on working in the existing "Data Dude" bits.
3. Your comment is noted; this is a frequently-requested feature and we are considering it for a future release. Are there particular aspects of your reference data workflow you would like to see support for?
4. At present Database Unit Testing is one of the Data Dude features which will not arrive until post Visual Studio "vNext". Can you give some further detail of what you mean by "plans for Test Suites built around your UDFs and SPs" - what specific features are you looking for here? Feel free to drop me email at mwthomas at microsoft dot com, I would be happy to hear your feedback.
5. As mentioned in the beginning of the talk, in SQL Server "Denali" ' s next CTP in the summer, all the current "BIDS" components (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS) will be shipping on top of the Visual Studio 2010 shell alongside our Database Services bits. This means you will not need to use Visual Studio 2008 to open projects of these types any longer. In terms of deeper integration between the components (e.g. refactoring across database and reports for instance), this is being considered for future releases. Please let us know your most important integration points.
Program Manager, SQL Server Developer Tools, Code-named "Juneau"