Entries:
Comments:
Discussions:

Loading user information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading user information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

Comments

androidi androidi
  • Eric Lippert - Discussing Visual Studio Tools for Office

    Alex Kazovic wrote:
    One thing that does concern me is that Microsoft seems to be moving more and more to focus on enterprise development.


    But when do we get Office 4Xbox?

    Seriously, this leaves room for ISVs to be innovative on this front, especially now that it starts being more feasible to make apps that consumers like easily (WinFX), that is good looking and great media integration.


    BTW. Very interesting video! Though I am not sure if the Discussing VSTO was a good topic as its not that catchy and 95% of the video talked about security and policies and 'reveals' that MS has learned a lesson.
  • Windows, Part I - Dave Probert

    Beer28 wrote:
    I would really like to see the NT kernel open sourced if at all possible.


    No worries mate. If Longhorn does not come in 2006, Apple could drive MS out of business and after few hundred years it could be legal to "open" the leaked Win2k source. If your presence is still with us in the collective cybermind, you may take a look Wink

    Disclaimer/MS-Special Removal Unit: This does not imply that I have the leaked source, however it does imply that in collective cybermind it is likely that someone has the source and therefore it would be publicly available.

    For more information about "Special Removal", see
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/04/60minutes/main678155.shtml

    And another interesting news that just came:
    The Next Chapter In The Patriot Act

    Legal: Yes they do show the same 60-minutes here too, albeit a month later. So no I did not download the 60-minutes episode, I just happen to be a light month away from the Earth right now! I mean, seriously.
  • John Stallo - The Visual Studio 2005 Class Designer (1 of 3)

    jledgard wrote:

    I'll post the next one Friday morning and then see if I can't get the final one Saturday. Sorry for the delay.



    Or if in hurry just ++ the number in the filename Wink
  • John Stallo - The Visual Studio 2005 Class Designer (1 of 3)

    sparky wrote:
    Please please please, make it easy to zoom and pan around.  Something like ctrl+mousewheel for zoom and ctrl+drag to pan.


    Pan is supported on almost all MS apps, except Windows Forms.. Just hold scroll wheel/middle button down and pan around. However would classic drag be easier in this case, perhaps.
  • Phalanger: PHP .NET compiler revealed

    Phalanger guys "You take the code that you wrote for original php. You compile it and you dont have to edit a single line, It Just Works"

    So if this small grp of students achieved this, what prevents VB6 guys doing the same Wink Ok this was a pure troll Wink

    As they mention, there will be some additional stuff to be done should you want to call a .NET method that takes generic type from PHP..

    So essentially it is quite understandable why having pure VB6 in .NET just doesn't make that much sense.

  • Gordon Bell and Jim Gemmell - A look into Microsoft's Bay Area Research Center, Part I

    <Duration value = "00:00:35.080" />
    <StartTime value = "00:22:5.812" />

    Ah, hey I did not know about this Wink

    However my point was entirely that the tech need refining, or can you do these links with some simple way from media player? And it seems you also need a place to host the asx - so essentially not useful without more work.

  • Gordon Bell and Jim Gemmell - A look into Microsoft's Bay Area Research Center, Part I

    Minh wrote:
    I'm not really sure how a web server would know where the 22nd minute of a WMV begins. Could you give me an example of a HTTP media that can start at an arbitrary point?


    Well lets suppose I am going to make a link to inside the video, first I'd have to watch it to know where the interesting content is right?

    I am not certain it would work, but you could simply just try determine the number of bytes into the stream (could be hard) and then have the videolink contain both the byte pointer and the time index. One limitation would be that the byte pointer would only be valid if the others would use the same stream, so having a 128,256,1024 Kbit streams it would only work for one of them without also watching the others Sad

    Other way could be to use estimate where the 22:00 minute is, go there, if its the 30th minute, use some algorithm to jump a couple times in the stream until close to the 22th minute. I am not sure however how much data would be needed to find the right position, however jumping like this to find the correct minute still takes less time than watching the whole stream from the start..
  • Gordon Bell and Jim Gemmell - A look into Microsoft's Bay Area Research Center, Part I

    Minh wrote:
    Without the media server back-end, you would have to download the entire stream up to the point to want to start. For local media, you wouldn't notice it because it's so fast, but with media on the net, you'd have to wait a bit.


    I do not quite understand? Its possible to seek in streams through HTTP. It's even possible to do this when playing an Mpeg 4 inside AVI from an FTP site. However this does require client code. From server it only requires that resuming is supported from arbitrary point.

    Its even possible to do all this in just very few lines of C# Smiley
  • Gordon Bell and Jim Gemmell - A look into Microsoft's Bay Area Research Center, Part I

    Minh wrote:
    I think it's a server-side problem, not client-side. If you say, I want the 22nd minute of this video, the server must know how to get there & start streaming..


    Perhaps. However clients can already seek in the stream to a point they want. Just give me the timecodes and have the player do the seeking. This approach will work with every streaming format, not with just MS ones.

    For people to use it the clients must be tailored or have a plugin to support it too. I know I would not want to type in some timecodes, I should be able to quickly seek through the stream and create the videolink in one click and add the commentary without leaving the mediaplayer, but the support for this could come in as external to the player perhaps so it would not be tied in to just MS's mediaplayer. Some kind of API for this perhaps that provides the link creating and popups a stylish window for creating the commentary or adding audio comment.

    After finishing the video and having added the comments, you could either transform the comments to clipboard for putting in a blog etc or you could create xml with all the metadata, link to video and comments which could be passed on so that others who view the video in full length see the comments too..
  • Gordon Bell and Jim Gemmell - A look into Microsoft's Bay Area Research Center, Part I

    It should also be possible to allow people watch to say a live TV broadcast or keynote presentation in the net, in such manner that everyone watching it are approximately in sync and can add their text and audio/video commentary which comes available in realtime to other who watch it. Kind of like commenting a movie with friends in the hometheatre or whatever.. Technically possible to do, just need to integrate it in the player that comes with the OS so that everyone would have it.

    Course it would also be nice to record the commentary to some repository so others who watch it later get it too.

    So practically MS should integrate parts of the webcast tech to the generic player tech.

    Its funny that while the discussion in the video came almost to touch the Google TV, where you can do searches in to the latest TV broadcasts cause of the subtitling, but never mentioned that. Basicly the people who watch the video should be creating the "subtitling" by creating commentary etc.