Brian Keller

Back to Profile: briankel

Comments

• Feb 29: This Week on Channel 9

ggponti wrote:
    Is there a feed for the MP3s?

Hi ggponti - I hear you, and I've been looking into this for you ever since you raised this post on the previous episode. The Channel 9 devs (aka "EvNet") tell me that this sort of thing is planned for a future version of Channel 9 but they haven't been able to tell me when it will be added. Such is software, as we all know...

In the meantime you might have a go with Ion Todirel's application: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=385668

I started playing with it this week and got it mostly configured but haven't been able to track down one final configuration bug on my machine. It appears that he found a way to enable this, though, despite my ineptitude at getting it to work on my machine.

I'm sorry I wish I could help you with a better solution - but alas I'm not a dev for Channel 9 myself, I'm just a pretty face on the show. Cool LOL

Thanks for watching!

Brian
  • This Week on Channel 9: Feb 22 with Ed Kaim!

anguslogan wrote:

Ed mentioned me but they left a link out of the show notes.

Angus Logan's Blog and http://dev.live.com

Dude what are you talking about? It's there! Wink

I just added it. Sorry for the oversight. "They" would be "Dan" who, as you saw, is having way too much fun this week.

Brian
  • This Week on Channel 9: Feb 15 with Scott Hanselman!

mtz wrote:
    any comments about starting shooting in widescreen? 16:9 is a lot nicer tha 4:3 ..most video here seem to be abnormally streated to 4:3 (to me atleast)

For better or worse the Channel 9 infrastructure was built around 4:3, so that's our target. Week 2 of our show was accidentally shot in 16:9 and stretched to fit 4:3, but Week 1 and Week 3 was shot natively in 4:3.

Unless Channel 9 plans on changing their infrastructure to 16:9 then 4:3 will continue to be our target.

Brian
  • This Week on Channel 9: Feb 15 with Scott Hanselman!

ariw wrote:
    I would like to subscribe to the show as a video podcast. Is there a feed for that?

Unfortunately there's not currently a way to do this. I'm told by the C9 devs that this will be coming in the future, but I don't have an ETA for you. Best suggestion I have it to tell you to watch the This Week in Channel 9 shows list every week. Our goal is to post every Friday, barring any circumstances which get in the way of that.

Thanks for watching!

Brian
  • This Week on Channel 9: Feb 15 with Scott Hanselman!

staceyw wrote:

Here is your *.sln fix. A 1-liner in PowerShell:

SWEET! Nice work, I didn't even think about using PowerShell for this!

BTW, nice Ross Perot quote - seems appropriate given Scott's impressions. Smiley
  • This Week on Channel 9: Feb 15 with Scott Hanselman!

Ion Todirel wrote:
    nice episode and its written "JavaScript" not "Javascript"!!! in tags... and btw I don't remember  talking about JavaScript in thi episode...

Thanks! Dan didn't write the tags, though, they are pre-populated in Channel 9 already. JavaScript came up during FelonSpy (Dan's pick of the week).

• This Week on Channel 9: Feb 8, 2008 Episode

HilaryPike wrote:

Wow, you guys got funnier      I like the 20 min format.

Thank goodness the writer's strike is over! We don't have to write our own material any more. Wink

Brian

PS: Episode 3 coming today... it's just going through the upload process right now.
  • This Week on Channel 9: Feb 8, 2008 Episode

Bas wrote:
    Awesome, banana cake and a pen!

Good job, guys. The show is going very well, can't wait to see what it'll evolve into.

If I have to criticize: there was some grumbling online (or maybe just the places I visited) about SP1 having RTM'ed, but not being released until March. (And yeah, I know that that's changed somewhat now.) I would've liked to have heard some sort of comment on that.

Hi Bas - thanks for the kind words. Smiley

My apologies, I did in fact see your question on last week's episode and at the time we filmed I didn't know the answer myself (remember, unpaid interns are a notch higher than Dan and me Smiley). But as of today there is much more information available here and here which explains the delay.

I realize it's not ideal for people who want SP1 yesterday and I would probably feel the same way if I were in your position. But there are some incredibly smart people at the helm of that release and I trust that they have weighed all of the alternatives before settling on this approach. Believe me - nobody wants to get it out to customers more badly than they do!

Hope that helps a bit.

• This Week on Channel 9: Feb 8, 2008 Episode

Rory wrote:
    Hope this helps...

Hey Rory, nice to hear from you! Yes this is definitely helpful, thanks much. Smiley

I don't remember if the lapel mics had such a setting but I'll ask Robert our all-knowing technician to look into it.

As for the aspect ratio Robert did re-render the video in 4:3 for me but obviously there's still some distortion there so either we're missing a setting or it's just an artifact of the transformation which you can't avoid. Moving forward I think we'll just add it to a pre-recording checklist to make sure we've double-checked that setting on the camera rather than try to muck with it in post.

• This Week on Channel 9: Feb 8, 2008 Episode

esoteric wrote:
    The audio is a bit obnoxious ("walkie-talkie sound"), but otherwise I like these videos. I don't mind long videos, as long as they're not artificially drawn out.

10-4, esoteric. I don't notice the same quality on any of my machines when I play it back but if anybody has ideas for what might be causing the walkie-talkie sound qualities please let me know. As I mentioned I do all of the editing myself so maybe there's a trick I can apply in post-production, or while filming, to improve the sound quality.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words; over and out!

• This Week on Channel 9: Feb 8, 2008 Episode

Chadk wrote:

briankel wrote:

Brian

Really? Are you using one of the Microsoft studios, or whats the deal with the set? It looks rather big!

It's not "Microsoft Studios" but it is a studio at Microsoft that our team set up in a building across the street from where Dan and I work. It is primarily used for filming On10 shows but that usually leaves a lot of spare studio time, so we were lucky enough to be able to book a few hours each week with Robert (our awesome camera man and technician who you see during the Benny Hill sequence). The room itself is probably 15x15 feet.

• This Week on Channel 9: Feb 8, 2008 Episode

Oh and one more thing we already noticed, the font size on some of the slides is too small. We're going to work on that in the future, but in the meantime if you view the download version it seems to work best.

Did I mention that we have zero budget and that I do all of our editing? It's a learning curve! Smiley