In this episode Symon interviews Matt McSpirit, a Senior Product Marketing Manager on the Windows Server & Management Team, to discuss the features and benefits of version 2.0 of the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC 2.0). The MVMC is a free Microsoft-supported, stand-alone solution for converting VMware virtual machines from VMware hosts to Hyper-V or Windows Azure. Get it here: http://aka.ms/mvmc.
The interview with Matt begins at [10:40].
- [11:05] What is the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC)?
- [11:40] How is the MVMC licensed?
- [12:10] What is the new in MVMC version 2.0?
- [12:55] Which versions of Hyper-V are supported as the destination?
- [13:10] How are the VHD versus VHDX file formats handled?
- [14:20] Which versions of VMware ESX(i) and vCenter are supported as the source?
- [14:45] Which guest operations systems are supported?
- [15:50] Do the VMs need to be running during the conversion?
- [16:15] What happens to the VM Tools (Integration Components)?
- [16:35] Can the VMs be move "live" with no downtime?
- [18:00] What actually happens when the virtual hard disk is converted from a VMDK to VHD?
- [19:25] What happens to the "in state" memory of the running VM on the source?
- [19:55] What happens to the virtual networks?
- [20:30] How is the VM's configuration information and metadata updated?
- [20:50] Are there any security or identity considerations?
- [21:30] Does it migrate to Generation 2 Hyper-V VMs?
- PowerShell tool: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/ConvertVMGeneration
- [22:15] How long does a conversion take and what factors influence the duration?
- [23:20] How does a migration to Azure work and what is different?
- [24:35] Is it possible to automate or script the process?
- [25:05] Can the Migration Automation Toolkit (MAT) be used?
- Microsoft Automation Toolkit: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Migration-Automation-c5842c98
- At [27:55] Matt shows a demo of migrating at VM from VMware to Hyper-V
- Next at [31:20] Matt shows a demo of migrating a VM from VMware to Azure
- [33:50] Where can users go to learn more?
- Download center & documentation: Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 2.0: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42497
- TechEd Session: Migrating to Hyper-V Using the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Tool
- TechEd Session: Effortless Migration from VMware to Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V
- This week's news focused on all the recently Microsoft Azure announcements from TechEd which can be found here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2014/05/12/azure-vm-security-extensions-expressroute-ga-reserved-ips-internal-load-balancing-multi-site-to-site-vpns-storage-import-export-ga-new-smb-file-service-api-management-hybrid-connection-service-redis-cache-remote-apps-and-more.aspx
- Storage: General Availability of Import/Export service and preview of new SMB file sharing support
- Networking: ExpressRoute General Availability, Multiple Site-to-Site VPNs, VNET-to-VNET Secure Connectivity, Reserved IPs, Internal Load Balancing
- Remote App: Public preview of Remote App Service
- API Management: Previewofthenew Azure API Management Service
- Cache: Preview of new Redis Cache Service
- Hybrid Connections: Easilyintegrate Azure Web Sites and Mobile Services with on-premises data & apps
- Store: Support for Enterprise Agreement customers and channel partners
- Virtual Machines: Integrated Security Extensions including Built-in Anti-Virus Support and Support for Capturing VM images in the portal
Connect with the Edge Team: